RX - 8

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
Test drove an RX-8 today. Just for the hell of it...

Nice car. Very crisp handling. Instrumentation was pretty cool. Very comfortable cockpit.

The strangest thing was driving a car a 9K RPM's. Those motors love (need) to be reved high. You have to drive around at 4,500 RPMs to have any power.

Popped the hood to check out the power plant. There was like... nothing there. It looked like a freaking lawn mower engine.

Only one problem with the car. No torque. None.

Just thought I'd share...

Last edited:

hssss03

CobraPC Version 1.0
Established Member
I've thought about getting one, but the torque is just too low. I mean 159lbs of torque with 250hp on a 2900lbs car is just not enough for me. They do look good though and the cockpit is pretty sweet.

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
Isn't mazda buying them back from unsatisfied customers like they had to do with the miata?

That's what I read too. I thought it was for lower than advertised HP/TQ.

It wouldn't suprise me though... I like everything about the car execpt... It's a dog...

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I just think it is ugly as hell. Especially with the "Saturn" inspired rear half door. :nono:

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
I just think it is ugly as hell. Especially with the "Saturn" inspired rear half door. :nono:

WoW, someone that agrees with me.
:bowdown:

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
The weight distribution is 50/50 even with people in it. At least that is what I heard. Seen a couple on the road, funky!!

SlowSVT95

Banned
Established Member
Originally posted by PoohBear
WoW, someone that agrees with me.
:bowdown:
Don't listen to him... He just told me the other day he was doing a trade-in for one. :nonono:

vortechlx

Join My 8 Week Program
Established Member
They do look good. I know a guy who has one ran a 15.61 @ 92.5 @ 3,100 feet. The cars redline is really high, but it is all motor like you guys said no torque.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
I had a Mazda turbo RX-7 a number of years back. The car handled wonderfully and was quick. Believe me, not as quick as the 03 Cobra, but still alot of fun. The most impressive thing about the Mazda was the quality level. The Mazda products were always well made, dependable, and reasonably priced. At one point, Mazda had a very close relationship with Ford....as in interchangable body parts on the small trucks. I have no idea to what extent that was prevalent or how long that relationship persisted.

I like the RX-8......if they would just stick some power under the hood!

Users who are viewing this thread