Rustoleum Trim and Bumper Paint

spectreman

Established Member
Rustoleum TRustoleum Trim and Bumper Paint

I'm guessing I'm not the only one to hit a curb/bump stop. Scuffed up the black lip of the '09 GT500's underneath the front bumper. (Not sure what you call that piece.) Couldn't get the marks off- tried 0000 steel wool (don't do that as it goes down thru the black), then tried a simple Sharpie black marker but that didn't cover it and then resorted to some leftover flat black Rustoleum I had laying around. That worked better but the paint was too thin and the color didn't match. Off to Home Depot.

HD has lots of colors in spray on Rustoleum. I was torn between a semi-gloss black and the trim & bumper paint, but chose the latter.
8702a4bc-1e63-4d5c-9f92-026e930cb6dc_400.jpg

Once home, I prepped the piece per the instructions on the can (& while still on the car), taped it all up and shot it w/3 light, quick moving layers. The paint worked amazingly well, dried quickly & covered all the obvious damage. It is a touch glossier than what was but looks pretty good overall.

Originally, I was going to pull the piece off and paint if off the car, that is, until I saw how many damn screws hold that piece on. Tape it up sufficiently w/painter's tape and you'll be fine. If you're tech-tarded, like I am, this is a job for a simpleton so don't be scared. You end up w/a piece that looks renewed.

Lee

spectreman

Established Member
I paid about $6 for the Rustoleum @ Home Depot. That stuff is selling for $18 a can on LMR!!! I'm giving this a whirl first & save the $12. I figger I'll be hitting it again in the future.
Lee

Users who are viewing this thread