rust on rotors

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
anyone else having issues w/ a ton of rust on the rotors after washing?

especially the inner portion of the rotor? after you've ran the brakes to take off whatever forms on them it goes everywhere on the rim and i'm left w/ orange ring in the middle!

paluka21

Established Member
Happens to even brand new cars. Never paid attention to this before on any of your other vehicles?

jbs$

Established Member
After you drive it with some purpose for a few minutes, the rust goes away and problem is solved.

verbal

Established Member
It is pretty annoying especially after spending so much time cleaning these wheels. They also squeal a little in reverse. I have had it happen with most cars but it seems magnified with this car. Probably because the rotors are so big.

raustin0017

Established Member
Spray them with WD-40. Will make them all shiny.

On a serious note: After I wash mine....I drive her for a few miles to get the brakes all heated up. When I return I do the final wipe down of the wheels. No rust...until she see water again.

NitrousExpress

Established Member
Spray them with WD-40. Will make them all shiny.

On a serious note: After I wash mine....I drive her for a few miles to get the brakes all heated up. When I return I do the final wipe down of the wheels. No rust...until she see water again.

LOL! A guy here did that, his brakes were squeaking, so he sprayed WD40 where needed, and ended up rearending my neighbor. Doh!

-Garrett

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
When you wash the car, drive her around the block as soon as you are done. That will avoid the issue.

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member
After you drive it with some purpose for a few minutes, the rust goes away and problem is solved.

Not where the pad doesn't touch.
OP: on my DD with slotted rotors I painted the whole rotor with high temp spray paint that matched the color of the rotors best.
Then drove it.
The pads of course took off the paint where they make contact and now no more rust where they don't.

Plan on doing this to the Shelby once the new calipers come in from being powdercoated.

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
yea i've noticed it before on other cars i've had, but for some reason it seems 10x worse on this car!

i'll prolly just load it up my lift and pull the rotors off and paint them as suggested... seems the best cure.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Rust every time I wash it and use air compressor to dry. Part of the game, no biggy. Goes away after first drive.

Tikigrill

Established Member
Not where the pad doesn't touch.
OP: on my DD with slotted rotors I painted the whole rotor with high temp spray paint that matched the color of the rotors best.
Then drove it.
The pads of course took off the paint where they make contact and now no more rust where they don't.

Plan on doing this to the Shelby once the new calipers come in from being powdercoated.

+1

I did this on an AMG Merc I used to have and really worked well. Painted the whole rotor black and after the brake pads cleaned the perfect ring of paint off the rotor and hat disappeared behind the wheel. Very simple and cheap fix.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I completely understand, it's not wash related, its that ring the pad doesn't clean before the rotor hat, paint as mentioned above is my plan too.
-J

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread