rust on brakes question

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
My daughter's 2002 Mercury Cougar has been sitting up since 06. The brake discs have rust on them but there are no worn out grooves.

If I were to put rust remover & get the rust off + redo the brake fluid, any decent chance of it working properly?

Thanks in advance, :beer:

jay

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
If it'll move, you should just be able to drive the rust off :shrug:

+1

My old caddy would get rust all over the disc in about 3 days. Drive to the store and get out and the disc look perfect. If you're worrying about them not working you could always jack the car up and test them like that first.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
My daughter's 2002 Mercury Cougar has been sitting up since 06. The brake discs have rust on them but there are no worn out grooves.

If I were to put rust remover & get the rust off + redo the brake fluid, any decent chance of it working properly?

Thanks in advance, :beer:

jay

New oil and filter, flush the gas tank, new fuel filter, check and temp fill the master cylinder. Check and fill all other fluids. Flush brake system after you get it moving.

The rust on the rotors won't hurt anything.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
+1000. I'd be worried more about other things if the cars been sitting for 4 years, and not about rust on the rotors. My cars get rust on the rotors overnight if it rains, it's normal and will come off the first time you touch the brakes. I'd be more worried about everything else.

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member
I remember flying planes and then taxing in. The rust on the main landing gear rotors would be covered in a light rust within 10 minutes or so after parking it. Living in a humid climate where we and the OP lives will do that to rotors very quick-like.
If you are concerned about the rust, just move the car slowly and feel if the brakes grab, after doing that the rust should be gone.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
take em off and put a coat of skeet skeet on it, then mount em back on...

THE_STIG

Established Member
Just move it forward and tap the brakes, it'll come off. Anytime I wash my car or if it rains the rotors get a little rust on them. Nothing to worry about.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
My biggest concern on a car thats been sitting for a long time is the brake lines. They tend to rot and you can be in a bad situation if you blow a brake line when you need to make a hard stop. So be sure to inspect them.

Users who are viewing this thread