"Rust" Is this normal?

JDJ

Established Member
I pick up my car last November. I did NOT inspect the underside of the car before I took delivery, maybe I should have. It has been in storage from the end of November until April. I have 2000 miles on it. It is NOT a daily driver and has never seen the snow or ice. I did drive it in the rain a couple of times. I know the rotors and brakes are going to rust. I am concern about all the other items with rust on them. The rear axle is painted right? It should not have any surface rust on it right? I have an appointment tomorrow with my service center for an inspection. I am asking you guys is this amount of rust NORMAL? Does anyone else car looks like this? Am I over reacting? Sorry only had a cell phone to take pictures.

Car0_zps401a31de.jpg

Car1_zps3e4bcfed.jpg

Car2_zps3741f75b.jpg

Car3_zpsdf7d64b2.jpg

Car4_zps1927bd73.jpg

Car5_zps7618193f.jpg

Car6_zpsf1abe598.jpg

Car7_zps6b66a705.jpg

Car8_zps4d49fd6c.jpg

Car9_zps4cdc36e7.jpg

Car10_zpse472c80e.jpg

Car11_zpsfd490217.jpg

Car12_zpsfd04cfd8.jpg

Car13_zpsaa2bb9d8.jpg

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
I drove mine all winter and it does not look anywhere that bad. Is it humid where you live? Looks like your parking place is extremely damp, so it may be "normal" for you.

JDJ

Established Member
NO not damp. I live in Germany. The weather is similar to Utah, I bet. It was in a small garage. I store other thing in there and no damp. This winter was bone cold and long. The background you see in the picture is a wash rack, I went to spray it off and start detailing it. REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPEN.

Last edited:

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Brake rotors will normally rust. Axles, LCA's & other things I'm seeing, thats not even close to normal. You recieved it in November? Looks like someone drove it in the salt without you knowing. I'd be talking to the dealer.

Last edited:

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
NO not damp. I live in Germany. The weather is similar to Utah, I bet.

Utah is a desert. Very low humidity (10-15%) and very little precipitation. I've seen the same corrosion from storage in humid areas. Any bare metal will rust. The paint on the rear diff is shitty.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
I think that is excessive. I drive my raptor year round in tons of snow and salt, plus it sits outside all winter, 3 years old and it's is not even 25% as bad as the OP's. Those LCA's have definitely been exposed to salt or similar.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Are you sure you never drove it on salt of anything?

That looks really bad.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
The rust is excessive and my guees would be the storage. Is it unheated? Are you parking on an unfinished floor like gravel or dirt? Even if it's unheated and concrete, you should be parking the car with a tarp or plastic laid down under the car.

They are NOT going to be doing anything for that under warranty.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

JDJ

Established Member
The rust is excessive and my guees would be the storage. Is it unheated? Are you parking on an unfinished floor like gravel or dirt? Even if it's unheated and concrete, you should be parking the car with a tarp or plastic laid down under the car.

They are NOT going to be doing anything for that under warranty.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

It's a finished unheated garage, with a concrete floor. My other two cars are a 2010 Volvo daily driven in salt and parked outside and a 2007 Expedition daily driver on salted roads all winter. They both look fine. My buddy has a BMW that was driven and stored in the same type of garage, no visible rust. I guest I'm f$$ked.

lvxlr8n

Established Member
Where did you buy it? For it to look like that, it had to have sat in like ocean water for a period of time. I live in Wisc and it takes a couple of Winters for a new car to look like that.

fast ford brian

Established Member
It looks like the concrete floor is transferring all the dampness up to the car . If the floor has no plastic under the concrete a long wet winter will do this to any bare steel that's close to it . Get some Ospho or other rust converter and a wire brush and clean it up followed by some sealer and a good coat of paint . It's not ruined yet .

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It looks like the concrete floor is transferring all the dampness up to the car . If the floor has no plastic under the concrete a long wet winter will do this to any bare steel that's close to it . Get some Ospho or other rust converter and a wire brush and clean it up followed by some sealer and a good coat of paint . It's not ruined yet .

+1

We cut out squares of carpet to put under the tires of our cars when we store them. They're stored in a garage that doesn't get below 55, but better safe than sorry.

lvxlr8n

Established Member
I park the tires on towels, and put cardboard over the concrete under the car. I also have a floor fan for when the humidity gets up.

mtrsprt

Established Member
That is more than moisture rising...... Looks like it was sitting in 3-5" of water for a few months.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just curious, did you wash it right before you put it up for the winter?

Users who are viewing this thread