Running Torco or Lucus All The Time

Funny5.0

Established Member
Is it bad for your engine to run Torco or Lucus with every tank of gas?
I have read that the only down side would be that you'd have to change your plugs more often due to a copper rust color coating caused by the MMT.
How often would the plugs need to changed if that were the case?

yngrshr

Established Member
Doesn't Lucas add a bit of fuel treatment into their octane booster? I wonder if this would make it "safer" to run.

Joey8

Established Member
Torco turns the plugs a reddish color over time from the mmt like you said. Torco helps with knock and a safety net for bad gas. I run Torco when I'm going to the track. I wouldn't run it all the time because of the build up of mmt.

5.0jake

Established Member
MMT seems to be a double edged sword as it the effective ingredient in Torco and Lucus from my understanding, run it too much and it will come back to bite.
What are the adverse effects of the brown coating?

Last edited:

Joey8

Established Member
MMT seems to be a double edged sword as it the effective ingredient in Torco and Lucus from my understanding, run it too much and it will come back to bite.
What are the adverse effects of the brown coating?

I believe just a rough idle. However that can be corrected with just running straight fuel without any additive for a couple tanks

pro 5.0

Established Member
I run 1 can of Torco per 5 gal of 91 octane, 3.4 whipple @ 21 psi 16 deg timing = 780 rwhp on a 2007 gt 3 valve. People say you shouldn't run torco all the time cause of the MMT coating the plugs, well what do you think the active ingredient is in race gas yeah you guessed it MMT so both will have the same affect on your plugs.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I run one can of Torco in every fill up and a tune with more spark for use with it. I have been running it for a little over a year now. Reddish plugs is my only downside so far. I ran it in one of my Terminators as well with no issues. People sometimes talk about how harmful it is but there is evidence or proof.

If you want a safety net and don't want to use Torco or Lucas, ask your tuner for a tune for use with 91 octane and then throw 93 in your tank.

My $.02

D.T.R

Established Member
I run 1 can of Torco per 5 gal of 91 octane, 3.4 whipple @ 21 psi 16 deg timing = 780 rwhp on a 2007 gt 3 valve. People say you shouldn't run torco all the time cause of the MMT coating the plugs, well what do you think the active ingredient is in race gas yeah you guessed it MMT so both will have the same affect on your plugs.

What compression is your bottom end? that's a lot of power for pump gas

pro 5.0

Established Member
What compression is your bottom end? that's a lot of power for pump gas

Sorry I wasn't subscribed to this post, my compression ratio is 9.26 to 1. 1 can per 5 gal of 91 = 98 - 99 octane so I run 3 cans per full tank 15 gal.

pro 5.0

Established Member
what kind of issues does the "redish" build up on the plugs cause ?

The only problem with using torco is that you can't read the plugs for a fuel ring and the timing mark is hard to see due to the orange / rusty tinge deposited by the mmt. You have to rely on your knock sensors and on board wideband if you have one.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I ran one bottle of lucas per full tank of 93 last summer during the hottest 6 weeks. That was only about 3-4 tanks. Probably wasn't needed, but no ill effects and gave me some peace of mind to still hammer down even when I knew the car was hot and the air was nasty.

Users who are viewing this thread