Running then dies?

jamessims

Established Member
Was trying to leave work and turn the car on it's idling for a couple of min to get the juices going then all of a sudden it dies. I go to restart then it just cranks over... I shut if off for a min or 2 and boom fires right up it didn't do it again on my 70mile journey home but weird... It's a first for me I just changed the fuel filter and did my monthly maintenance before this happened... I am guessing junk in the tank or my fuel pump of 7 yrs is going out... Anyone want to throw a stone at this and bump heads on this issue...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.036717,-95.426913

INVNO1

Established Member
My guess would be the coil. But seems like It would do it when the coil heated up if it was bad. Could be trash.. But enough to make the car stall? thats alot of trash.

jamessims

Established Member
New coil... Could be defective I'll put my back up coil in the car... I flushed the tank when I put the pump in and I fill up with gas every day... Could be a sensor my cats are going out on my car I wonder if that would affect the 02 sensors...or maybe the sensor on the distributor...

Ninety3Coupe

die eier von satan
Established Member
I know what happened. You replied to my thread and my problem is contagious! lol

Good luck my friend, keep us posted when you sort it out!

INVNO1

Established Member
Code:
or maybe the sensor on the distributor...

This sounds like a good culprit actually. It could be a million things.. Gotta love aging electronics.:bash:

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
it sounds like an ignition module its on the side of the distributor ...one question when it cranks but does not start do you hear the fuel pump come on ....if not most likly that.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I was going to guess TFI also. Mine failed intermittently like you describe for a couple of weeks before it finally quit completely.

cotchnobra

Established Member
if it happens agian go to the fuel rail and push in the port on the fuel rail that looks like a tire valve stem. if it squirts out like a geyser fuel pump is fine. And that would mean that the ignition module on the dissy or the pick up inside the dissy is bad. I would doubt that it is an ingnition coil.

cotchnobra

Established Member
I will tell you right now the best distributor to use for a street car is a stock one. try and get a remanufactured one. I have had issues with msd distributors. I had one that would make the car die after 20 min of driving and then wait 15 to let it cool down and would do it all over again. Pulled it and put the stocker back in and it was good to go.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
vatozone and oriley have the FP relays. My coupe suffered bad from this, I finally found a ford one, and it solved my problem. The vatozone and oriley ones were junk. I went through 10, and it didn't fix it. I knew it was the problem, but eventually I got it fixed and its been great ever since.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I will tell you right now the best distributor to use for a street car is a stock one. try and get a remanufactured one. I have had issues with msd distributors. I had one that would make the car die after 20 min of driving and then wait 15 to let it cool down and would do it all over again. Pulled it and put the stocker back in and it was good to go.

I'll second this. I've had issues with MSD distributors too. Although I'm currently running one and it seems fine, the last one I ran was causing random misses and all kinds of stupid problems.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Honestly, I would look in a junk yard. You might check Napa.

Users who are viewing this thread