Running temps?

ifixbrokencars

Established Member
Hey everyone i need a definitive answer here if possible. I have a 96 cobra and im pretty sure shes running warm. Put a new T-stat in 188 degree factory replacement, took it for a ride last night was about 40 degrees out and runs around 190 while driving no worries. Let it idle for about 45 minutes and it got up to 208. While at 208 the gauge was pointing between the M and A in normal. Ive owned a lot of fords with this gauge and never read this way but this is my first cobra of this generation. Any input? also i hear there is a TSB for a cooling issue is the TSB related to the radiator being undersized or is it the condensor not allowing enough air flow through. Im trying not to have to replace a bunch of components to make this run cooler but any ideas are appreciated.

Boomer8404

SVTP & SVTOA Member
Established Member
What you are describing is normal for our Cobras of this vintage. A lot has been said about the accuracy of the stock setup (sender & gauge), or the lack there of, but that's how mine runs aswell, it'll run cooler for awhile after first start driving, versus letting it heat up for a bit. I just recently installed an Autometer temp gauge & sender for more accurate monitoring and to be honest, besides the difference of letters over numbers the factory gauge is accurate in its movements. But I feel your pain, my 97 ran lower temps when I bought it and it overheated on me due to low coolant and a bad t-stat, I did a cooling system flush, and new rad/coolant pump/t-stat/watter wetter & temp gauge sender. With a proper burp done to the cooling system, I noticed the temp needle moved a little farther to the right for normal operation (from M-A range to A-L range). Which could have been the result of the low coolant, or the new temp gauge sender just reads a little different then to old one that was in it. It freaked me out for awhile, I kept thinking it might be running hot, but it runs great, and after the Autometer gauge install, it confirms everything is running normal. Keep in mind though, the temp is taken from the crossover that comes right out of the heads at the top of the cooling system, which will be hotter than if the temp was taken from lower in the block.

The TSB for 96 Cobras was for the fins of the condenser & radiator, they were too constrictive. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread