running slightly warm.

usmcsvt98

A day in the life
Established Member
Hey everybody. I know this issue has probably been brought up countless times, but I figured it would be a good excuse to make a post and try and post my first picture ever. Hopefully they uploaded correctly. Bought this clean 99 gt off my bro in law about 6 months ago. bought it with 59k original unmolested miles. He was the only owner, the thing runs great but it runs slightly warm. Below should be a picture of were it runs, Since ive owned this car I have changed the coolant, added water wetter, put in a 180 stat, and thats about it as far as cooling goes. Since then it still runs at the exact same temp as it did before but it just gets there slower. It never runs over how hott it is in the picture and never runs cooler no matter if its idling, running down the track, or just crusing. Never hotter, never cooler. Any ideas? & yes the fans kick on and operate properly. This vehicle sitll had the factory coolant, spark plugs, air filter everything in it when i bought it. The coolant was literally dark brown. No it wasnt oily and No im not leaking coolant at all. My bro in law says he has scene it ran that same temp ever since he can remember. Is this something I need to worry about? It def annoys me and I would like to see that guage rite in the middle. Probably a stupid question but will timing be affected by it running warm like this? Thanks Gents!!

F468535C-1A3C-4AEE-8AD1-5248F874E0E2_zpsrivlujqe.jpgB701BF43-BA6A-4DD1-9313-C91ECD844387_zpsouqzodnj.jpg

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
My first thought is when someone installed the white face gauges is that they did not get the needle put back on in the correct spot. Post a picture of the gauges when the car is off if you can.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Funny you mention that. I thought about that today and it never crossed my mind before. I'll upload a pic in the AM. Thanks kleech!

Great minds think alike they say! :beer: if it hasn't given you any problems as far as driveability is concerned or coolant boiling over I'm going to guess that's probably your issue though. If it was that warm all the time you'd probably see some serious negative effects and it would likely run awful.

Users who are viewing this thread