Running slicks and have a few ???'s

malibu78

Established Member
I am running 29.5 x 9 x 15 inch slicks on racestar rims no tubes. I tried them out on the street and the car feels really squirly. Any suggestions?? What tire pressure do you run??

Bud

Established Member
You running radials up front? Also how much air in the slicks and are they stiffwall or regular slicks?

Bud

Established Member
People have complained of cars getting squirly with bias ply on the back and radials on the front, especially wider radials up front. People seem to like the stiffwall slicks on these heavy cars as well to help with stability.

Oh, and we need pics, a 29.5" slick on these cars has to look huge!

malibu78

Established Member
People have complained of cars getting squirly with bias ply on the back and radials on the front, especially wider radials up front. People seem to like the stiffwall slicks on these heavy cars as well to help with stability.

Oh, and we need pics, a 29.5" slick on these cars has to look huge!

Not Really. I am really excited to try em at the track. I think I am going to put tubes in the slicks and see what happens. On the street it still burns the tires all the way through first (it's a 6m). Of course that is at a 5k rpm launch though. LOL
2012-07-07_16-54-41_18.jpg

Last edited:

Swetrid

Established Member
Even with tubes in the slicks it will be squirlly on the road. When I drive to the track I air them up to 30psi to help a little.

malibu78

Established Member
Even with tubes in the slicks it will be squirlly on the road. When I drive to the track I air them up to 30psi to help a little.

I run 11-12 lbs in my malibu, and it is not squirly at all, however it weighs 3215 with fuel and driver and I do run skinnies up front.

Should I put tubes in the slicks and more importantly what tire pressure do you run at the track and do you run tubes?

Swetrid

Established Member
I have run with and without tubes at the track and really didn't make a difference. I usually run 14-15 psi at the track. On my car it moves around a little on the shifts but I'm using the stock front wheels. I just recently got a set of Racestars for track duty and got the 17" skinnies for the front too.

Wharf Rat

Established Member
I run 27 inch Hoosier QTP's and at 15 PSI they feel pretty squirrely going through the traps at 115. At 30 psi on the street they feel fine to me (up to about 75 mph). I run the 17 inch racestars with a radial front, also.

Users who are viewing this thread