Running rough after Boss and injector install!

7Lemons

Established Member
I recently decided to get an E85 Flex tune from Lund and at the same time I was changing to the Boss manifold. I installed the manifold and 47# injectors, and in the process realized my battery was dead from winter storage so I replaced that too. Lund wants me to log with E85 with the straight E85 tune, and then I would get my flex tune. But I had 1/2 tank of 93, so I decided to try running with the Boss using my Lund 93 tune I had for my setup all along. It idled really rough at first (stalled once) then recovered and would idle okay for several minutes. I drove it easy for 5-10 minutes then tried a WOT run. At WOT, it misses and bucks like crazy and even backfires some. I was very careful about installation and all, and I'm pretty sure there are no vacuum leaks but I can check that. Any other ideas...anyone else had this happen when changing to the Boss IM? I'm working with Lund on it, but I just thought I'd ask if anyone here experienced this?

Jdm351

Established Member
I recently decided to get an E85 Flex tune from Lund and at the same time I was changing to the Boss manifold. I installed the manifold and 47# injectors, and in the process realized my battery was dead from winter storage so I replaced that too. Lund wants me to log with E85 with the straight E85 tune, and then I would get my flex tune. But I had 1/2 tank of 93, so I decided to try running with the Boss using my Lund 93 tune I had for my setup all along. It idled really rough at first (stalled once) then recovered and would idle okay for several minutes. I drove it easy for 5-10 minutes then tried a WOT run. At WOT, it misses and bucks like crazy and even backfires some. I was very careful about installation and all, and I'm pretty sure there are no vacuum leaks but I can check that. Any other ideas...anyone else had this happen when changing to the Boss IM? I'm working with Lund on it, but I just thought I'd ask if anyone here experienced this?
You can't run the old tune for your stock injectors with the new injectors no matter which fuel is in the car. The pcm will be pissed at you.

7Lemons

Established Member
You can't run the old tune for your stock injectors with the new injectors no matter which fuel is in the car. The pcm will be pissed at you.

I thought that may be the case...so I loaded the E85 race tune that is meant for the Boss + 47# injectors (even though I don't have E85 in the tank yet) being fully aware that I have to take it easy and can't push it at WOT. I just wanted to see if there was any appreciable difference, one way or the other, and there was no noticeable difference even at part throttle. Lund has provided a Flex tune which should work until I can get a full tank of E85! I'm going to try that first and see what happens.

7Lemons

Established Member
Follow lunds instructions. You can't change injectors and run the tune for stock injectors

Yeah, that's why I tried the E85 race tune they provided which was for my injectors and entire setup just to see how it did at just part throttle. I just wanted to know if anyone else on here had this happen? I should have just done the Boss first, then the E85/Flex tune/injectors!

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Ask for Dakota. He responds really quick and is extremely helpful and a nice guy. He'll get you running. We had a issue when we swapped tires with our original lund tune. We asked for a revision for tire size and was just told to go into the tuner ourselves and adjust the revs per mile. We did that and the tune got screwed up somehow. We did a total of 3 WOT pulls with that tune and every time at 66-6800 rpm it backfired. It wasn't just the little ordinary backfire... we thought we blew the mufflers off. When it did it 3 times we knew something was wrong.

7Lemons

Established Member
Ask for Dakota. He responds really quick and is extremely helpful and a nice guy. He'll get you running. We had a issue when we swapped tires with our original lund tune. We asked for a revision for tire size and was just told to go into the tuner ourselves and adjust the revs per mile. We did that and the tune got screwed up somehow. We did a total of 3 WOT pulls with that tune and every time at 66-6800 rpm it backfired. It wasn't just the little ordinary backfire... we thought we blew the mufflers off. When it did it 3 times we knew something was wrong.

That sounds a little similar. The support guy @ Lund has been fantastic, and he is having Dakota help with it, actually. So he had me check some things last night and I found a first problem (don't know if it's THE problem). All along I thought my Steeda CAI was the 101mm, when really it's the 95mm. So he gave me the tune for the wrong size CAI (my fault). However, my 93 tune I also told them it was 101mm for that, and so that one was for the wrong one as well and she ran like a beast before the new setup... so...

Also - the 95mm CAI setup doesn't fit up to the Boss very good at all. It has to be on an angle and the rubber sleeve kind of makes up for it being somewhat cockeyed. Might have to get the JLT or other CAI for it.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
That sounds a little similar. The support guy @ Lund has been fantastic, and he is having Dakota help with it, actually. So he had me check some things last night and I found a first problem (don't know if it's THE problem). All along I thought my Steeda CAI was the 101mm, when really it's the 95mm. So he gave me the tune for the wrong size CAI (my fault). However, my 93 tune I also told them it was 101mm for that, and so that one was for the wrong one as well and she ran like a beast before the new setup... so...

Also - the 95mm CAI setup doesn't fit up to the Boss very good at all. It has to be on an angle and the rubber sleeve kind of makes up for it being somewhat cockeyed. Might have to get the JLT or other CAI for it.

Dakota will get you squared away! The Jlt fit the boss very well.

7Lemons

Established Member
I am all fixed up now, they sent me a new Flex tune which immediately worked perfectly. Then I logged with E85 and sent the datalog in, and Dakota said it looked fine. So they sent me the E85 race tune as well to try out. Now I just need some good weather and the remaining 93 gas to be worked out of the system to get to 100% E85... so I can try it out!

Users who are viewing this thread