Running rich with too much timing

MOORESPEED

Established Member
The other day I got on it and I noticed it was blowing black smoke out of the exhaust. I also noticed it was pinging so I let out fast. To my guess I would say its running very rich and need to back out some timing. With the predator, should I add fuel and take out timing or just take out timing and for you guys that use the predator alot, how much timing should I take out? Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Tony

Freedom

Established Member
MOORESPEED said:
The other day I got on it and I noticed it was blowing black smoke out of the exhaust. I also noticed it was pinging so I let out fast. To my guess I would say its running very rich and need to back out some timing. With the predator, should I add fuel and take out timing or just take out timing and for you guys that use the predator alot, how much timing should I take out? Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Tony

If you are running rich, adding fuel is going to make you run richer!

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
What plugs are you using and how long since they were checked/changed? If it's too rich it shouldn't ping/detonate. As far as timing if you want to lower it then I'd back it down 2* to start with. Is this on your custom tune? Was it done on a dyno?

Silver04L

93 Octane Member
Established Member
I was going to say, I thought pinging/detonation was caused by a lean condition...

MaxPower

She likes Spaghetti
Established Member
Silver04L said:
I was going to say, I thought pinging/detonation was caused by a lean condition...

Or too advanced timing, too hot a plug, hot spots in the combustion chamber (nicked valves, etc)...

MOORESPEED

Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
What plugs are you using and how long since they were checked/changed? If it's too rich it shouldn't ping/detonate. As far as timing if you want to lower it then I'd back it down 2* to start with. Is this on your custom tune? Was it done on a dyno?

I am running the NGK TR7 plugs. They've got almost 10k miles on them. Yes the truck was dyno tuned with a custom tune & I think I am somewhere between 18 & 19 degrees.

MOORESPEED

Established Member
MaxPower said:
Or too advanced timing, too hot a plug, hot spots in the combustion chamber (nicked valves, etc)...

Yeah you are right I think I need to back the timing out a bit.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Did this just start? You might have gotten some bad gas, you might want to at least pull the plugs and check to make sure. 18-19* is kinda high on a stock motor, you should shoot for 15-16* on a daily street tune and 18* for the race side.

MOORESPEED

Established Member
I appriciate the feedback guys. How hard would it be for me to go hook the predator up and take a few degrees of timing out? Ive never used it myself but figure ill read the book and give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread