Running rich, smelly exhaust

jdsupertinter

Established Member
I’ve got a convertible with after market intake (K/N cone) and some sort of beastly exhaust, looks like 4” h pipe deal, loud as hell.
At lights it smells bad. Gassy, running wayyy rich. It’s the first thing I hear when someone rides with me, it’s pretty bad.
How do I tune that out? Is it something a mechanic with a good computer can do? A chip? Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve got a convertible with after market intake (K/N cone) and some sort of beastly exhaust, looks like 4” h pipe deal, loud as hell.
At lights it smells bad. Gassy, running wayyy rich. It’s the first thing I hear when someone rides with me, it’s pretty bad.
How do I tune that out? Is it something a mechanic with a good computer can do? A chip? Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

You are running an offroad H or X pipe. Install a catted midpipe to get rid of the smell (and lose some power in the process).
I for one, love the raw fuel smell of an offroad exhaust.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Install a correct exhaust and put the stock airbox/inlet tube back on.

I also love the way an OR pipe smells but not everyone does. And definitely making a car super ridiculous loud is just kinda toolish IMO. Car better be able to back it up yet most of the loudest street cars tend to be the slowest unfortunately. Witness all the "full bolt on" 4.6L 2Vs running around on stock 4x4 suspension, OR pipe and dumped Flow 40s...

jdsupertinter

Established Member
So it’s supposed to smell like that??
That’s cool, that’ll be my response then, lol

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

jdsupertinter

Established Member
Every time I drive a normal 4.6 gt I’m extremely disappointed.
Seriously, my Cobra is twice as powerful, every time.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

scottydsntknow

Established Member
5800 rpm redline and stock gears and very mild cams yeah its gonna suck. Aftermarket cams, bump the redline to 6500, 4.10s and good suspension and you'll change your mind. Although the Cobra will still be markedly faster all things being equal. I just swapped a JY 4V into my car vs a low mile 2V with cams and I'd do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread