Running real hot after a Paxton install

djdonte

Established Member
12 Boss 302 here. I just installed a used Paxton 2200SL kit, and my car is running real hot at idle now. Its fine when moving, and at idle without the AC. Once I turn off the AC my temps just keep rising. I let the head temp get to 250 before I shut it down. It took about 20 minutes to get this hot. I have verified that the fan is working, but My car is too loud to tell if its kicking into high speed or not. My tuner (AED) also let me see his fan tables so I know the fan is being commanded when it should.

The kit came off of a 12 GT/CS, and I gave him my stock fan in exchange for his pre-modified one. I know my radiator is bigger than a GT, but from what I can tell the fan is the same. I know the guy so I'm pretty sure he didnt screw me over with a bum fan. I am going to try a 170 degree thermostat and running 75 percent water/25 ford coolant with some royal purple water wetter. If that doesnt help alot I was maybe going to buy a GT500 fan. I am in Houston so its about 90 here but I still dont think I should be running that hot. It gets so hot I can't touch anything under the hood. Any ideas on diagnosing the fan or anything? Thanks.

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
definitely something going on here. 250 is HOT.

check the coolant system as 4V said. that temp isn't even close to normal.

I never saw over 225 after pulls when i was slow/had the paxton.

djdonte

Established Member
I switched the stock thermostat for 170 and replaced the coolant with 25% coolant/ 75%water with royal purple ice. Its now running at 195F. Not sure if those changes made the difference, or maybe I had some air in the system from the Paxton install. I verified my fans are running when my tune is commanding them.

djdonte

Established Member
What is the best way to bleed the system? Only thing I did differently this time was change the thermostat. I dont see a bleed screw, so I just ran the car with the tank open and make sure to keep filling it.

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member
What is the best way to bleed the system? Only thing I did differently this time was change the thermostat. I dont see a bleed screw, so I just ran the car with the tank open and make sure to keep filling it.

This^ Anyone know the best way to make sure the system is bled? Run the car at idle at operating temp with tank lid off? Anyone?

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
I just changed my coolant last month. I kept track of how much came out and added the same amount. I had to drive it to get the last bit it (about a quart).

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread