Running new tune without all the mods installed.........good idea??

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Just thinking about this and not sure if I should or want to do it so...................

as some of you know I still have parts to install for my "part 2" mods which consists of 10% ATI, monoblade and PMAS intake + new plugs.

I was thinking of maybe installing just the mono and PMAS but get a new Lund tune that accounts for the ATI and TR7IX plugs that I will install

Is this a good idea or should I do the tune only when I have all the parts installed?

The damper for me will take some time to install, the other parts aren't that time/labour intensive to install.................... so just wondering if it's ok to run the car without the ATI and plugs but with the mono and PMAS installed with the new tune.

MG0h3

Established Member
Ya man thats a no go because you'll be spinning the blower harder. I mean if you needed to put somewhere to get the damper installed I wouldn't stress but you'll be slightly lean across the board; even out of boost.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Ok, guess it's a no then, no worries like I said just wondering about it.

^^^^Now I'm wondering how would the blower spin harder when I'm still stock in that area but the tune would be for the 10% ATI?

MG0h3

Established Member
Lol my bad; thought process was backwards. You'd end up rich.

I'd just do it all at once.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Frankly, I don't see a problem. Plugs make no difference. As far as spinning the blower faster with a lower, you load tables should compensate for less boost. But if you have doubts, ask your tuner.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Ok, guess it's a no then, no worries like I said just wondering about it.

^^^^Now I'm wondering how would the blower spin harder when I'm still stock in that area but the tune would be for the 10% ATI?
You spend $50k plus on a car. Dont make a $20k mistake. Always do it right the 1st time.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Frankly, I don't see a problem. Plugs make no difference. As far as spinning the blower faster with a lower, you load tables should compensate for less boost. But if you have doubts, ask your tuner.
Timing an spark come into play. Not a safe bet to risk. All good tuners will tell you not too.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I guess you don't understand how the load tables work in a tune. He has to run a modified tune for the monoblade and the PMAS. The tune should be able to accommodate more or less boost if it's set up properly. Only the calibrator can answer that question.

Willie

Established Member
.....as some of you know I still have parts to install for my "part 2" mods which consists of 10% ATI, monoblade and PMAS intake + new plugs....

10% ATI >> No tune mods needed...
Monoblade >> Absolutely needed...
PMAS intake >> Absolutely needed unless the manufacturer states it is not. I know they have both..
New plugs >> Not needed...

I guess you don't understand how the load tables work in a tune. He has to run a modified tune for the monoblade and the PMAS....

Catmonkey is absolutely correct. Spark tables that use Load as a normalizer, for example.... let me just show you...

Borderline Knock Table.jpg

This is the stock table for 2007 - 2009 GT500. The stock blower is capable of producing ~125 percent load, well within this table which maxes out at 160. Now let's make more boost (load), more than 160% Load or beyond this table. What happens? Will you blow the motor, or are you still "safe"? The answer is you are safe. If you go beyond the limits of the table, the PCM will NOT GO WACKY. Instead, the last value it uses to continue to be used when load exceeds 160.

Conversely, the tuner can extend the Load on the y-axis here. But I know for a fact that most professional tuners will NOT take the time to do this. Doing so results in lost resolution on the low end, where 90 percent of your driving will occur.

.... Only the calibrator can answer that question.

I almost forgot.... I have taken the SCT training and have calibrator access.....

Bottom line for the mods listed here >> You are not endangering anything by installing these parts with no tune adjustment...

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I almost forgot.... I have taken the SCT training and have calibrator access.....
I plan on taking it in September. How was it and did you do the on-line instruction or attend in person?

Bottom line for the mods listed here >> You are not endangering anything by installed these parts with no tune adjustment...
Not to mention without installing the lower, he's running less boost anyway. Hardly a dangerous situation.

Willie

Established Member
First, you must have Advantage III prior to the course. I did the online. The video is through team viewer and they give you a call-in number for the audio -- conference call so you can interact with the instructor and other classmates. They will mail you references to be used during the class. It was four days, four hours each day.

The instructor was awesome. But to be honest, I did not learn too much because I already had ~8 years experience writing my own tunes. This experience was self-taught. BUT what I did learn has been invaluable, including contacts.

The one subject matter they did not teach was Drive-by-Wire, as this is regarded advanced training, which ironically, is not offered..! But if you do not already have calibrator access (full access including DBW), you can still get it if you convince SCT that you have sufficient knowledge, which is what I did prior to taking the course.

Hope this helps.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Great stuff here guys and may I ask Willie and Catmonkey: This is SCT's training you can do remotely?

Willie

Established Member
Great stuff here guys and may I ask Willie and Catmonkey: This is SCT's training you can do remotely?

Yes. You'll need a PC and a cell phone.

There is a certification test afterwards. You can choose to take or not take it, depending on your goal. It is the first step to becoming an authorized tuner.... or just for your own knowledge...

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
You would also need to have purchased SCT's Pro Racer Package (PRP), which is the software licensing for their Advantage program. You will only have access to the OEM tune template for your vehicle, not multiple templates like a dealer. SCT will sell you a new template for a new vehicle or another vehicle with proof of purchase. You would get nothing out of the course without being a registered PRP user.

If you're interested in learning more about the tuning process, Lasota Racing has a few manuals they published that might help you make a decision as to whether you would like to learn to tune or not. I started tuning when this was pretty much hacking and processors were a lot less complicated. Some of the brilliant guys on the old EEC-IV e-mail list went on to start SCT. If you saw the parameters on an early 90s mustang and a current model they are worlds apart and the latter is somewhat intimidating. HP tuners is another similar vendor and seems to be getting a foothold in the Ford tuning arena. There are other tuning programs, but I'm not familiar with these.

Curt@injected

You should be fine. If your tuner set your spark tables up correctly it should be able to take just about any boost level change(up to the max load in the table) without a tune change. Same goes for fueling. If the maf curve is right it's right, doesn't matter what boost level. Spark plugs won't affect the tune up. Always best to check with your tuner though

Users who are viewing this thread