Running my Saleen S-281 at Grattan

cobra777

Autographx
Established Member
I ran my Saleen at Grattan last weekend. If you have not done a Solo II event at an actual track (not a parking lot) i highly recommend it! It was a blast!!! Enjoy the video. :beer:

[youtube_browser]vR3WFYz-CKI[/youtube_browser]

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Are those stock seats? I figured a model better than a GT would come with better seats lol.

Saleen had different options. There's actually not many S281s with the upgraded seats. I'm ordering seats for my vert soon, but it's not a vendor so I don't think I can post a link.

61mmstang94

Established Member
Saleen had different options. There's actually not many S281s with the upgraded seats. I'm ordering seats for my vert soon, but it's not a vendor so I don't think I can post a link.

?

You can tell people where you're buying some seats for your car and its okay.

It's not like you work for them and are doing official advertising and trying to directly sell a product your going to profit from.

Just like I can say who built my engine, or where I got my turbo from.....you can say where some seats are from.

cobra777

Autographx
Established Member
Yeah, i didn't realize how much i move in the seat until i saw my own video! Upgrade is coming. Gray_Ghost, where/what did you get? Would love to see some pics.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
?

You can tell people where you're buying some seats for your car and its okay.

It's not like you work for them and are doing official advertising and trying to directly sell a product your going to profit from.

Just like I can say who built my engine, or where I got my turbo from.....you can say where some seats are from.

Gotcha. CipherAuto.com sells affordable seats that actually have good reviews.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Yeah, i didn't realize how much i move in the seat until i saw my own video! Upgrade is coming. Gray_Ghost, where/what did you get? Would love to see some pics.

See my previous post. I don't have any yet, as I just ordered everything I need to lower my car finally. But I've read mostly good reviews about the company and their products. I'll be ordering some soon after my "Toy Fund Account" recovers.

Laffs

Drop-da-top
Established Member
Gotcha. CipherAuto.com sells affordable seats that actually have good reviews.

I was going to buy a set of the CPA2001 seats from them till I was told they didnt have any and there "purchasing department" didnt think they would have any for a few months.

Ended up finding the identical seat(looks/dimensionally) on ebay for half price so I bought it. Been great thus far.

My .02

OP - great vid, they had no issues with you running a vert/top down? Tracks over here wanted me to ru a 4pt cage in mine before I could run a open track day. Grattan isnt too far from me.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Same question as above, I looked into a road race and they don't want a vert unless you have a cage. The "light bar" won't cut it.

MFE

Established Member
Nice. I did a lot of autocross, and I've done years of track events, but I've never done an autocross on a track. Looks like blast. One piece of hard-learned advice, though: Leave your shoulder belts loose until after you crank that lap belt down as tight as you possibly can. Then pull the seat forward one notch to crank it even tighter :D Then tighten your shoulder belts. That way, they won't be pulling your lap belt up high and loose and you'll be way more secure in your seat. And safer too, in the event of a mishap.

smitty2919

Established Member
With all the different models of racing seats, how do you guys pick one?

My criteria would be waist size (assumtion) that the seat backs can recline, and that it is black cloth.

Is that how you guys pick them?

MFE

Established Member
Well, for starters, you don't want a fixed-back seat in a car without rollover protection. Then you need to look at dimensions, and see what fits (both the car and you). Then you also need to consider how high they'll be in the car once you account for the required sliders/adapters, assuming you want them to still be able to be adjustable fore/aft. Some adapter/slider sets add considerable height to the overall seating position. Then there's quality of materials and construction, and overall cost. And, shape. Some of the cheaper brands look all RaCeY because they have mile-high thigh bolsters, which are totally useless and almost literally a pain in the ass.

And all that is why, after all the time I've spent driving my car on tracks, I still have the stock seats in it LOL. I'm 6-3 235 with long legs. I need a low seat. And because I'm not the only driver of the car, I require adjustability. And because I'm cheap, I haven't sprung for a Recaro or Sparco and been done with it. But I have a roll bar and 5-point harnesses, they do a decent job of holding me in place.

MTBSully

Established Member
With all the different models of racing seats, how do you guys pick one?

My criteria would be waist size (assumtion) that the seat backs can recline, and that it is black cloth.

Is that how you guys pick them?

I love my recaros. Shop around for a good deal used on hondatech, nasioa, or ls1tech.

smitty2919

Established Member
Well, for starters, you don't want a fixed-back seat in a car without rollover protection. Then you need to look at dimensions, and see what fits (both the car and you). Then you also need to consider how high they'll be in the car once you account for the required sliders/adapters, assuming you want them to still be able to be adjustable fore/aft. Some adapter/slider sets add considerable height to the overall seating position. Then there's quality of materials and construction, and overall cost. And, shape. Some of the cheaper brands look all RaCeY because they have mile-high thigh bolsters, which are totally useless and almost literally a pain in the ass.

And all that is why, after all the time I've spent driving my car on tracks, I still have the stock seats in it LOL. I'm 6-3 235 with long legs. I need a low seat. And because I'm not the only driver of the car, I require adjustability. And because I'm cheap, I haven't sprung for a Recaro or Sparco and been done with it. But I have a roll bar and 5-point harnesses, they do a decent job of holding me in place.

Thanks for the reply MFE, that helped a lot.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member

That was very well said, thank you. I personally HATE the stock seats in my GT though. If they weren't so damn expensive (and rare), I'd try for Cobra seats with parchment inserts. '03 Cobra seats were the best Mustang seats I've ever sat in.

Users who are viewing this thread