Running lean before engine is warmed-up

svtleen

Established Member
My 99 Cobra with a Vortech non-intercool blower runs lean between 14.5-18.5 before the engine becomes fully warm for the first 3-4 miles..is this normal? Is the tune not good? :shrug:

Mystic03

Established Member
what is it at WOT thats what you really need to look at thats when your tune is in effect idle should be around that number

svtleen

Established Member
At WOT its between 10.8-11.4. I just started feeling this leaning out more recently (engine cold) and was just wondering if it was a precursor to something bad.

Mystic03

Established Member
At WOT its between 10.8-11.4. I just started feeling this leaning out more recently (engine cold) and was just wondering if it was a precursor to something bad.

from your wot a/f seems like it could be leaned out a bit but should be richer on cold start up than it being warm but it looks normal you shouldnt be worried

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
Your A/F ratio really only matters when under WOT. The gauge will be changing constantly when your are just driving normal.

As of the cold engine, maybe the ecu/tune has the closed loop mode on when its below a certain temp with some low timing numbers or something.

AirBrontosaurus

Established Member
Hm... your startup open-loop table should be running rich, so the fact that it's lean is a bit unsettling.

I would start by looking at your MAF transfer function. Your car is in open loop for the first few minutes, and if it is set too lean then your car will run lean until it goes into closed loop and the STFTs can correct it.

Does the leaning out happen all the time, or just on tip-in? If It's just on tip-in then you can lower the PCM's idea of your intake manifold volume to compensate for it.

If it's all the time, I would probably be careful driving around too much. Even at part throttle, 18:1 is pretty lean, and although it may not cause damage, it certainly can't be good for the motor.

So, I would make sure your MAF transfer function is correct first, then go from there.

kbturbo

Established Member
Definately in the tune. Could be in startup fueling because there is a table in sct that relates to time since startup for fueling. That could need a little tweaking. Definately wait until the startup cycle is over to run wot.

Users who are viewing this thread