Running hot with AC on

cbrown9064

Established Member
Ever since I put the blower and intercooler on, the car runs hot with the AC on. Due to how the intercooler mounts, I had to take off the "fence" that hung down under the core support. With the Paxton intercooler (pipes go back under the core support, not out the sides) there isn't a way to remount a fence, as the car is lowered also.

Dont know if the car ever had the TSB done for running hot, but I doubt it. I am the second owner and my Uncle bought it new.

Recently the radiator weeps a bit from time to time. Wondering if a different radiator and/or fan combo is needed? Or since I eliminated the "fence" that is the root of the issue?

Thoughts?

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Superchargers do make things run hotter.
Have you tried a 160-degree t-stat?
Have you tried lowering the "fan on" temperature?
Have tried the cooling system additive "water wetter".

cbrown9064

Established Member
Superchargers do make things run hotter.
Have you tried a 160-degree t-stat?
Have you tried lowering the "fan on" temperature?
Have tried the cooling system additive "water wetter".

No, no, no...

Good thoughts on lowering the fan on temp. What puzzles me is it fine without the AC on. But I suppose the hot condenser sandwiched in between the intercooler and radiator exacerbates the issue.

I also don't know anything about water wetter. Will check that out also.

Thanks!

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Well, a lower t-stat will start the coolant flowing earlier, a lower fan-on temp (by tune or electronic trickery) will start the air flowing earlier, and the water wetter (about 8 ounces of chemistry for $8 at Autozone) will help heat transfer in the cooling system to get heat out of the engine block and into the coolant, and heat out of coolant and into the radiator fins..
All postives!

Users who are viewing this thread