Running HOT! Intercooler blocking radiator??

Wildcard

Established Member
I'm gonna chime in. I agree with the person above. The endtanks don't allow airflow, so mount it where the fins will actually be in your airflow.
The fact that your intercooler is a vertical flow instead of a horizontal flow is of no difference. Your procharger intercooler with its large tanks will pose a problem because they're surface area, so try to have the intercooler positioned where the fins are in the bumper gap, so that you can get air to the intercooler.

To the person talking about how you cannot mount an intercooler onto a radiator or a/c condenser—yes, you can. There are many examples of intercoolers flush mounted. And there is no evidence that intercoolers need to be mounted low. They can be mounted ontop of the engine, at an angle, completely flat facing the ground, inside the engine bay, behind the radiator, or even inside of the car. It is a heat exchanger that if feed air through the fins will remove heat from the charge air. So I have to respectfully disagree.

This particular intercooler is a bar and plate design. It will not allow as much airflow as a tube and fin design, still I do not believe that the intercooler is causing the issues. I used to tell my customers that if they do not have cooling issues before the intercooler, they should not expect problems after it is installed. I would look at the radiator. Have you changed it? it could simply be that your rad was already struggling and the addition on the IC has pushed it to its limits. I would change that first, before trying to move anything around with the intercooler brackets.

Last edited:

SpittingCobra

Established Member
I'm gonna chime in. I agree with the person above. The endtanks don't allow airflow, so mount it where the fins will actually be in your airflow.
The fact that your intercooler is a vertical flow instead of a horizontal flow is of no difference. Your procharger intercooler with its large tanks will pose a problem because they're surface area, so try to have the intercooler positioned where the fins are in the bumper gap, so that you can get air to the intercooler.

To the person talking about how you cannot mount an intercooler onto a radiator or a/c condenser—yes, you can. There are many examples of intercoolers flush mounted. And there is no evidence that intercoolers need to be mounted low. They can be mounted ontop of the engine, at an angle, completely flat facing the ground, inside the engine bay, behind the radiator, or even inside of the car. It is a heat exchanger that if feed air through the fins will remove heat from the charge air. So I have to respectfully disagree.

This particular intercooler is a bar and plate design. It will not allow as much airflow as a tube and fin design, still I do not believe that the intercooler is causing the issues. I used to tell my customers that if they do not have cooling issues before the intercooler, they should not expect problems after it is installed. I would look at the radiator. Have you changed it? it could simply be that your rad was already struggling and the addition on the IC has pushed it to its limits. I would change that first, before trying to move anything around with the intercooler brackets.

Thanks for the insight. The catch 22 here is that if I lower the IC to get the fins in the opening in the bumper, then the big lower endtank will be so low it almost totally blocks the air to the airdam which is supposed to direct air up to the radiator and it pushes down on the bumper cover and you can't even get the lower clips in. My bumper cover is all but destroyed in that area due to running it that way previously..:shrug:

I'm looking into a new radiator hopefully I can get this sorted one way or another

Last edited:

Wildcard

Established Member
Thanks for the insight. The catch 22 here is that if I lower the IC to get the fins in the opening in the bumper, then the big lower endtank will be so low it almost totally blocks the air to the airdam which is supposed to direct air up to the radiator and it pushes down on the bumper cover and you can't even get the lower clips in. My bumper cover is all but destroyed in that area due to running it that way previously..:shrug:

I'm looking into a new radiator hopefully I can get this sorted one way or another

Well leave it where it is, but notch your bumper support foam, and possibly add a small metal section to create ducting so that it can get air, and then you will be fine.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
I live in DFW so it's obviously hot in the summers here. I really don't have an issue with coolant temps unless I turn the AC on and I'm in stop n go traffic for an extended period of time. Regardless of the fact that I have a 170 tstat and changed fan settings, I think that once you reach a certain point, there is nothing the stock fan can do to keep up. My temps will get to around 100C (212F) and at that point I turn the AC off so the car can cool off...I know the stock settings don't even have the high fan kick on till around then, but that's too hot for my liking. I think once the car gets to around 105C (221) the needle starts to move to the right. As soon as I can get to cruising speeds, the temps will come back down to around 192 with AC on. With AC off, they usually are around 183F at cruise (this all in the high 90's heat).

-venom-

Established Member
I have the 3 core procharger intercooler and end tanks are not that tall. Looks like you got the wrong intercooler. You got the RACE version when you should of ordered the STANDARD version. ATI ProCharger Available Intercoolers There is nothing wrong getting the race version but if you are not making over 800 hp why get the race version and have fitment issues when the standard would suffice.

I had an overheating issue some time ago. Turns out one of the temp sensors on the crossover coolant pipe was not working properly or I had the wrong one installed. Once I replaced it fan came on when it was suppose to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread