Running E0 on a E10 tune

Maynerd

Established Member
My car is tuned on 91 octane. It was tuned in Minnesota a while ago before I bought it. During that time Minnesota had a law that all gas had to be E10. Well I like in Iowa and 91 E10 is difficult to find. 91 E0 is everywhere. I was wondering if I could 91 E0 in my car without issue. I understand it may run a little rich, but that’s not a huge deal is it? Please enlighten me.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
I’d try and find the octane rating of E10. I kindof feel like it’s negligible but unsure.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My car is tuned on 91 octane. It was tuned in Minnesota a while ago before I bought it. During that time Minnesota had a law that all gas had to be E10. Well I like in Iowa and 91 E10 is difficult to find. 91 E0 is everywhere. I was wondering if I could 91 E0 in my car without issue. I understand it may run a little rich, but that’s not a huge deal is it? Please enlighten me.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
How long ago was this? I could buy 91 non oxygenated fuel for the last 15-20 years here in Minnesota. It was just harder to find.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Maynerd

Established Member
This was in Minneapolis maybe 5 years ago. I was always told that it was mandated up until a couple years ago

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
We were on a road trip several years back in our 2009 Malibu 2.4L. We had 4 grown adults plus luggage. We were averaging 26-28mpg the whole trip. In OK we stopped for gas and all they had was Ethanol Free gas so I filled up. I kid you not, our MPG went up to 32-33 mpg on that tank (same driving, same cargo, same everything). I was pretty amazed. It went back down when we got "normal" E10 gas. This makes sense since you have to burn more gas+E due to the ethanol content.

Dusten

Established Member
91 octane is 91 octane. By law it has to meet that minimum requirement. The e10 uses ethanol and gasoline to achieve it. E0 is just a pure gasoline mix. You'll be perfectly fine.

When you hear people talking about e30 and e50 tunes their running a 91(92/93) octane fuel and adding e85 to get an e30/e50 blend. This is increasing the octane.

Look at the e85 pump. It'll say 105 octane min.

Dusten

Established Member
Just for fun. Pure ethanol has a btu rating of 76330. Gasoline is 112,114.

This means ethanol has about 68% as much power and needs approx 32% more fuel.

So if you filled up with 20 gallons of e10/91 blend you have a total btu rating of 108535 per gallon

This is only a 3.2% difference. Your vehicle can easily accommodate this.

efnfast

Established Member
We were on a road trip several years back in our 2009 Malibu 2.4L. We had 4 grown adults plus luggage. We were averaging 26-28mpg the whole trip. In OK we stopped for gas and all they had was Ethanol Free gas so I filled up. I kid you not, our MPG went up to 32-33 mpg on that tank (same driving, same cargo, same everything). I was pretty amazed. It went back down when we got "normal" E10 gas. This makes sense since you have to burn more gas+E due to the ethanol content.

ethanol is total bullshit - beyond crap gas mileage there's the issue of the damages it does if you arn't constantly cycling out the fuel, especially on small engines like tractors and carbs ... I go out of my way to only buy E0 gasoline, but it's getting so much harder to find it these days because of nut-job tree huggerss.

Users who are viewing this thread