running a cog drive, what pullies to go with?I

vic_s197

Established Member
I'm running an f1a cog driven I'm making around 22 psi at 6500 I want to turn up the boost but not sure what I need to order, the blower pulley is a 40 tooth but I can't tell what the crank pulley is cuz the fan is in the way, how does it work, do I just need to swap the blower pulley or both ? And does the tooth count go up or down when running more boost? Il be calling procharger tomorrow but I wanna no More about it before I call them

LITTLEMAGS

Established Member
I run a 80 lower and 45 upper (ati super pulley) so I don't shock the crank end. I am pushing 20lbs...depends on your lower size for what u want. Also belt sizes come into play too...with limited gates belt sizes u need to count tooth count to make sure on what belt u can go with. For more boost you will really need to know lower size and go up from there

vic_s197

Established Member
Il wait to call them till tuesday, but I'm not sure on belt size either Il check it out tomorrow too and let u no, will I have to change both pullies? Also is the crank pulley stamped with the tooth count?

Blackedout

Established Member
I run a 88 lower with 44 upper = 25+ you will need to know what lower you have so procharger can tell you what size upper you will want... :beer:

for belts check out: royalsupply.com

Last edited:

LITTLEMAGS

Established Member
Yeah on the inside...u don't have to change the upper...but u have to make sure the teeth count works with ur belt. Gates only makes two 50mm wide belts that work...only big and one small..lol. you gotta find the pulleys that work with the belt size.

vic_s197

Established Member
Il check it out tomorrow then it's Gunna be a pain Il prolly have to remove the fan to see the number, as for the belt it's a power grip belt Il find out the specs on that and let u guys no tomorrow too.

Blackedout- at what rpm do u see the 25 psi at with that pulley setup? I want to push 27-28 psi at 7500 rpm and pick up a little more low end , I'm at 22 psi right now at 6500 rpm

Dr X

Assuming the OP is referring to the kit on a 3v, it is completely different than a 4v. Lets say you are running a 73t lower... with your RPM increase alone, that should give you approximately 6 more psi. Although it would be good to verify, generally 8mm cogs (what you have) teeth count equals out to inches in diameter (77t = 7.7", 40t = 4.0", etc...). You are likely also running an 1800 belt. As for picking up more low end, you will have to drop pulley size. The caveat is that 38t is the smallest pulley available, and again, assuming the 73t at 7500, you are already at the blower's max impeller speed.

vic_s197

Established Member
It is on a 3 valve the shop that installed it said they ordered the pullies that would max it out but they weren't sure so Il check on that today, I hope the blower is not maxed out

vic_s197

Established Member
The belts is a gates power grip 1800 8mgt50 and the blower pulley is a 40 tooth, crank pulley is a 77 tooth

vic_s197

Established Member
6500 right now, we will be taking it up to 7500 rpm once we make a bracket to keep the piping on the throttle body, it's comes off at 6700 rpm

vic_s197

Established Member
T hanks man, so right now at 6500 rpm the blower is turning 67567 rpm, and And at 7500 it would be at 77962 rpm, how bad is it to turn the f1a past it's max impeller speed? I no its max is at 74000

LITTLEMAGS

Established Member
Well...I know a few who have overspun them...bad thing is heat....heat kills. When u are overspinning it is heating up more than normal. That being said..I know a few spinning past max speed with no ill effects. IMO..If u want more just add some spray...and don't spin it so hard.

vic_s197

Established Member
I called procharger today and they said I could upgrade to the C or the X, so I can make more power while not spinning it soo hard. Il prolly run it for the rest of the year and prolly go turbo this winter

Users who are viewing this thread