Running a 1/2 Mile event on Saturday. Any suggestions?

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
On Saturday I'm signed up for a half-mile event and there are at least two of us from this 13-14 forum running between the two days. On the event roster there are two additional 13-14 GT500s running.

I'm planning on putting the car in sport mode then starting in 2nd at the 40-50mph starting speed and running it to 6700 in each gear. I'm on stock GYs, temp is forecast for a high of 79 with 40% chance of afternoon thunderstorms so I'm hoping to get two runs in before any precip.

Are there any suggestions from those of you who have run half-mile roll events before?

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
If you can do a burn out at the event than do it, I have done two half mile events, and if your bone stock than the most I would say is give your car some cool down time in between runs, other than that have a blast, 1/2 miles events are what are cars are made for.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I'll be there on Friday, along with two other members of our local Shelby Club. (One will have his 2014 Super Snake and the other a 2011 GT500.)

My friend with the SS made about half-a-dozen passes at last year's event, but the weather was good all day and I think there were fewer participants.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
If you can do a burn out at the event than do it, I have done two half mile events, and if your bone stock than the most I would say is give your car some cool down time in between runs, other than that have a blast, 1/2 miles events are what are cars are made for.

Yeah, I'll have to practice the burnout beforehand. Just enough to get the tires hot enough to stick. I'm not a huge fan of burnouts just for the sake of creating smoke. I'm not quite bone stock but mostly stock.

I'll be there on Friday, along with two other members of our local Shelby Club. (One will have his 2014 Super Snake and the other a 2011 GT500.)

My friend with the SS made about half-a-dozen passes at last year's event, but the weather was good all day and I think there were fewer participants.

I've been watching the weather forecast and it's been all over the board. They said they were limiting registrations but I think that's bs, there are a ton of people on for Saturday. I hope the weather holds for you on Friday.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I've been watching the weather forecast and it's been all over the board. They said they were limiting registrations but I think that's bs, there are a ton of people on for Saturday. I hope the weather holds for you on Friday.

That makes two of us - I've been tracking the weather closely all week. I'm with you on the registrations, and don't believe there are any real limits in place.

We're headed down early (i.e., 0600) to get in line. Hoping to make at least a few passes before any precip materializes...

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member

Can you post the MPH The supersnake runs.

ThomasL

Established Member
Traction will be an issue based on the surface these events are typically run on and the stock tires. No need to worry about a killer launch like you would in a 1/4 though. I've only done one half mile event and it was a blast. Have fun and good luck!

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
That makes two of us - I've been tracking the weather closely all week. I'm with you on the registrations, and don't believe there are any real limits in place.

We're headed down early (i.e., 0600) to get in line. Hoping to make at least a few passes before any precip materializes...

Good luck tomorrow! I think Friday will be a light day but they're saying rain tomorrow morning and clear on Saturday. I'm hoping you can get some runs in while it's dry.

Traction will be an issue based on the surface these events are typically run on and the stock tires. No need to worry about a killer launch like you would in a 1/4 though. I've only done one half mile event and it was a blast. Have fun and good luck!

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to this.

That sounds like a lot of fun! I wish they had events like that near me. Be sure to post your speeds here when you get back.

Thanks and will do! I'm shooting for anything over 145 considering that I've got mild mods and the track elevation is nearly 6200 feet of elevation. Luckily the high temp is only supposed to by 82 on Saturday so I'm hoping to get a run in when it's only low 70s out.

Users who are viewing this thread