running 91 on a 93 tune?

99lightning

Established Member
I had my 99 Lightning tuned in tx years back (93 Octane) but have started operating it again in California where only 91 is available. Should I be worried about anything?

99lightning

Established Member
Not really. The knock sensors are still active. They will protect the motor. The tune was also safe. We don’t push the timing too high just in case there is a bit of bad gas. If you anticipate beating on the truck, just order some Boostane. It works great.

the guy who tuned the truck told me this when I asked the same thing. What do you guys think?would i be able to order a tune from jlp to put through my SCT or something??

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
That depends what you consider "Protecting the motor".

Will keep it from blowing up? I would say yes. But ur gonna pull way more timing than needed and cause a loss of power below what it makes stock which kinda defeats the purpose of tuning it.

U should be able to get a 91 canned tune that should be easy..... Cruising around there should be no issues but stay out of WOT till u get the 91 tune.

Not really. The knock sensors are still active. They will protect the motor. The tune was also safe. We don’t push the timing too high just in case there is a bit of bad gas. If you anticipate beating on the truck, just order some Boostane. It works great.

the guy who tuned the truck told me this when I asked the same thing. What do you guys think?would i be able to order a tune from jlp to put through my SCT or something??

Dusten

Established Member
That depends what you consider "Protecting the motor".

Will keep it from blowing up? I would say yes. But ur gonna pull way more timing than needed and cause a loss of power below what it makes stock which kinda defeats the purpose of tuning it.

U should be able to get a 91 canned tune that should be easy..... Cruising around there should be no issues but stay out of WOT till u get the 91 tune.
Except there is no knock sensor

Even after all these years you still spell like my teen age daughter. I'm impressed by your resiliency

Dusten

Established Member

The lightnings knock sensor is not even available to be turned on in the tune.
There is no provision for the ECU to monitor it.
They are not a microphone. It is a piezoelectric accelerometer. It detects vibration like a microphone. However a microphone uses a diaphragm, where as a knock sensor uses crystals. Quiet different.

The lightnings blower created enough false knock ford completely didnaway with it

Since you're of such a superior intelligence, you should already know all this. So I feel silly explaining it to you.

That said, trying to insinuate my daughters intelligence is low, even for a **** like yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Exactly- there aren't any knock sensors. The eaton sets them off so ford got rid of them on the L and Terminator. If your tuner told you knock sensors would save you, I'd consider a new tune altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread