Run in with S55 AMG

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Run in with SL55 AMG

Firstly, holy bejesus those cars are fast. Secondly, im faster. :-D

I was just getting off the highway and happened to end up behind a very nice looking SL55 AMG. Being that i had loads of time to kill, i decided to tail him and see where he was headed(secretly hoping for a race of course). We both ended up next to each other making a left onto a wide open 4 lane road. I looked up, looked down, saw no cops and zero traffic. What the hell, i figured, so i threw him a rev. I didnt hear anything in return, so i guessed he wasnt interested. I guessed wrong. Midway through the turn he gunned it. As soon as i got straight, i shifted to second and floored it. By this point in time he was already about half-a-car ahead. I quickly made up the gap, and proceeded to pull at least a car length on him by the time i reached the middle of fourth. I slowed down because i saw some cars up ahead, he just kept flying, oh well.

Only reason im really happy about this race is because i have been losing the feeling that my car is "really really fast", this has restored my faith 100% though. :thumbsup:

Mods listed in sig, never been dyno'ed.

**edit** - I was just informed by my friend that the convertible 2-door is the SL, i guess i wasnt paying attention to the badging hard enough.

Last edited:

shaved99gt

Established Member
yeah those cars are amazing you know no idea how fast they are until you witness it first hand one night there was a guy at the streetraces with one and he was handing everyone their asses

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Originally posted by Devil Dog
Stock S55's are limited to 155 mph, but if you take off the limiter they will walk you on the big end.

sounds ALOT like the 03 Cobra, especally one that can catch a S55 and pull it.... I'd say that without the 155 limiter, an 03 Cobra that has that type of power would be hitting closer to 190 than 180..

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
I work right next to this expensive restaurant in Nashville and there are forever Porsche's, Ferrari's and AMG's etc. I had a chance to get up close to and listen to the engine turn over and run a while back....it was a 2003/04??... 55-series black convertible with V8 and supercharged badging on the panels. First that car was so gorgeous you could just sit there and stare at the lines and lose yourself in it. The grill and headlapms were just mesmerizing the front looked so cool. Dude comes out with his lady from the restaurant and I got a chance to chat with him for a sec. It's funny when you know more about dude's car than he does. I told him I couldn't imagine how fast that car would go and I have a 98 Cobra. He was kinda playing it down and I was like c'mon man...that thing will smoke a new Cobra or Z06 off the showroom floor. His lady jumps in and is like "Yeah, tell him that...he won't listen to me" I think she may have been the wild one in the relationship...anyhow, he started it and drove off and that engine sounded absolutely bad ass...it was like some kinda scary airplane engine....5.5 liters of supercharged madness I tell you. It will be quite a while before I go messing with any 55 series AMG's

blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member
Originally posted by Silver2003Cobra
sounds ALOT like the 03 Cobra, especally one that can catch a S55 and pull it.... I'd say that without the 155 limiter, an 03 Cobra that has that type of power would be hitting closer to 190 than 180..

Strange, but if stock Cobras are limited to 155, how can they hit 160mph. I have a vid of one (I'm sure everyone has seen) hitting 160, actually, 159. I think it was stock but I'm not sure

Last edited:

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
I know that in 2001 my dad saw them testing out the (01') cobras for high speed testing. I dont know how fast they got it going, but the spoiler kept ripping off the back of the car. The guy had to keep duct taping it back on :)

Noredline

Established Member
Correct and daaaaaaaam, your car is very fast! Congrats on the kill:)

SL (Sport Lichte)=2 door 2 seats
CL (Coupe Lichte)=2 door 4 seats
S (Saloon)=4 door 4 seats

All with approximately 497 hp and about 515 ft/lbs torque-stock. As with most vehicles, a few slight mods and you are above that.

Way out of my league for now:( Though maybe a slighly used E55 would do. They are getting away from the superchargers in another year or so. Coming out with a new 6.3L N/A engine/ 7 speed tranny for the new AMG models.

The ones to really watch out for are the rare CL65 and of course the :bowdown: SLR

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Originally posted by Noredline
Correct and daaaaaaaam, your car is very fast! Congrats on the kill:)

SL (Sport Lichte)=2 door 2 seats
CL (Coupe Lichte)=2 door 4 seats
S (Saloon)=4 door 4 seats

All with approximately 497 hp and about 515 ft/lbs torque-stock. As with most vehicles, a few slight mods and you are above that.

Way out of my league for now:( Though maybe a slighly used E55 would do. They are getting away from the superchargers in another year or so. Coming out with a new 6.3L N/A engine/ 7 speed tranny for the new AMG models.

The ones to really watch out for are the rare CL65 and of course the :bowdown: SLR

I think if i ever saw an SLR on the road i would try to race it just to watch it pull away. They truly are rolling works of art.

Noredline

Established Member
Yeah killer cars, soon the new SLK's will be on the roads, they look quite similar to the SLR's. I keep a digital camera with me for work, and am hoping to catch a shot of one. Tons of exotics here, just a matter of time till I see one:)

horseplay

Crazy MMA Junkie
Established Member
Originally posted by notdisturbed
I think if i ever saw an SLR on the road i would try to race it just to watch it pull away. They truly are rolling works of art.

dont worry.... you should pull him without a sweat :p :D

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Re: Run in with SL55 AMG

Originally posted by notdisturbed

Only reason im really happy about this race is because i have been losing the feeling that my car is "really really fast", this has restored my faith 100% though. :thumbsup:

Oh shut up. A bone stock Cobra is fast. Man you people.. :nonono: I dream of having the RWHP you guys have!

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
> Oh shut up. A bone stock Cobra is fast. Man you people..

It's all a matter of perspective :D

LS-WHAT?

Established Member
there was an 03 cobra that ran on the salt flats at 178.###. it was lightly moded. the stock rims limited its run to 180 cus of safety. he had it in 6th at like4-5k rpms. he said he would go back this next year to try and break the 200mph mark. hey shaved gt. i was wondering if since youshaved all the fake scoops did it reduce the drag on your car? does it make much of a difference?

shaved99gt

Established Member
Originally posted by LS-WHAT?
there was an 03 cobra that ran on the salt flats at 178.###. it was lightly moded. the stock rims limited its run to 180 cus of safety. he had it in 6th at like4-5k rpms. he said he would go back this next year to try and break the 200mph mark. hey shaved gt. i was wondering if since youshaved all the fake scoops did it reduce the drag on your car? does it make much of a difference?
ive never noticed less drag since the shaving but i would think it would help somewhat it couldnt hurt for sure. i have heard on a forum that a stock mustang gt will go 3mph faster with the rear spoiler removed so if just removing the spoiler makes that much of a difference the shaving might be worth something but iam not sure

Users who are viewing this thread