Run in with a GT500

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
Not 10 minutes ago in fact. Coming home from the dealership I spot a red coupe with white stripes. Lady driving with a passenger. She is driving pretty conservatively until I edge her on enough, then she gives in. From a second gear roll, about 45mph I think I may have edged it out, I dont think she let off. We get to a light and I compliment her ride. Says she got it a few weeks ago and loves it. We both start kinda slow so Im thinking shes had enough. As soon as I shift to second she floors is, shit. I floor it at about 20mph regain my ground and stay about a car back, no one gaining any ground till about 100ish then we let off. I would love to get a cleaner run in, I'm pretty confident I would do surprisingly well.:coolman:

Oh, mods are in this thread, post number 13.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331213

SVTBMG

Banned
Dont expect a clean race from a rookie chick driver...lol. They are sneaky ones. Just like you never know when they are cheatin on you either. They never know when i do either so it is alll good.

Sounds like you got a runner on your hands though. From your Dyno graph you are puttin out good power with your combo. I have a neighbor with a black 05 SRT with stage 1 and all the goodies on it and nitto's all around. He also did the bigger IC and waste gate from the stage 2 kit I think. as well as a TB and the Water sprayer for the front of the IC. Not sure if that is standard with the Stage 1 or not. Also full exhaust on it ....no cat either. Very loud. He said it is putting down around 273. Is that about right? We are givin up around 800 pounds to your cars though so we have to make big numbers to get our fat asssess movin:)

I ran him from a dig in first at about 15mph. I spun... he jumped out and then I plugged 2nd and ran away kinda fast after that. He knew it would happen. It was all in good fun.

Find her again and teach her a lesson or 2

ACESCOBRA

Bring it on!
Established Member
Good kill Tullio! Those GT500's are pigs in stock trim... Im sure she never expected to get killed by the SRT4... cause she just bought a 60k overpriced car, supercharged and of course... it's a Shelby LOL It may be her husbands car huh? :D

skajake83

far from stock
Established Member
SVTBMG said:
We are givin up around 800 pounds to your cars though so we have to make big numbers to get our fat asssess movin:)

Just FYI (they aren't that light)
3430lbs.(Cobra Curb weight) - 2,899lbs.(SRT-4 Curb weight) = 531lbs.

I want to stomp one while drinking a soda. :)

evo connevo

Established Member
Why am i thinking the weight is closer to 3700lbs since i remember seeing 36xx all the time on this site?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
skajake83 said:
Just FYI (they aren't that light)
3430lbs.(Cobra Curb weight) - 2,899lbs.(SRT-4 Curb weight) = 531lbs.

I want to stomp one while drinking a soda. :)

the 03/04 cobra coupes are not that light. 3650 is more accurate.

to the original poster:

unless your car is close to 2650lbs you are losing the power to weight battle. in which case you beat the driver not the car.

atlvalet

Established Member
Maybe it's me, but I am having a hard time seeing how an approx. 300whp SRT-4 can hang with a GT500. Right now, I put down 306/306 (dynojet) on 91 and I don't think I could hang with one. Maybe the extra torque with the 2.4 helps, but I still have a hard time seeing it.

R1Lello

Established Member
ACESCOBRA said:
Good kill Tullio! Those GT500's are pigs in stock trim... Im sure she never expected to get killed by the SRT4... cause she just bought a 60k overpriced car, supercharged and of course... it's a Shelby LOL It may be her husbands car huh? :D

............and it sounds like you want one (a gt500)

dredg9

Established Member
nice kill..the best races are when the opponent has no idea what is about to happen.

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
atlvalet said:
Maybe it's me, but I am having a hard time seeing how an approx. 300whp SRT-4 can hang with a GT500. Right now, I put down 306/306 (dynojet) on 91 and I don't think I could hang with one. Maybe the extra torque with the 2.4 helps, but I still have a hard time seeing it.

03-04 SVT Cobra, 3664 curb weight (Coupe) per http://www.modernracer.com/fordmustangsvtcobra.html

07 Shelby GT500, 3920 curb weight (YIKES!!!) per http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=115578

02 SRT-4, curb weight 2880 per http://www.answers.com/topic/dodge-srt-4

Horsepower of GT500 is 500 bhp, or ~450 rwhp. Roughly 8.7 lbs per rwhp.

For the Skittle, since it weighs 2880, it would need about 330 rwhp to be competetive from a roll, assuming everything else is equal. We all know that everything else (aka, drivers) are not equal, so it seems to me that 300 rwhp in a well driven SRT-4 could hang with or take out a lesser driven GT500.

That excess weight is the problem, which is why I'm glad my Z06 weighs in at 3050 or so:-D

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
dezzracer said:
I know the car. Word around here is she paid 75K. CRAZY! Decent race I guess, but Put me in the driver seat and your go-cart going down though.

Kind of arrogant comment there, don't ya think? What makes you think you would do better? SHe has more seat time in that car than yuou would.....oh wait......it's because she is a woman, right? :bash:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Nuke61 said:
We all know that everything else (aka, drivers) are not equal, so it seems to me that 300 rwhp in a well driven SRT-4 could hang with or take out a lesser driven GT500.

I sure hope you are refering to the fact that she has only owned the car for a few weeks.

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
I sure hope you are refering to the fact that she has only owned the car for a few weeks.
I'm not referring to anyone or any race in particular. An SRT-4 with 300 whp is close enough in performance to a bone stock GT500 that it easy to see how the SRT could win, thats all.

Instead of just looking at horsepower numbers, it's often more helpful to look at horsepower/weight ratio, at least for a roll race. From a dig, too often the quicker car is also the slower car, so horsepower/weight is less helpful.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Nuke61 said:
I'm not referring to anyone or any race in particular. An SRT-4 with 300 whp is close enough in performance to a bone stock GT500 that it easy to see how the SRT could win, thats all.

Instead of just looking at horsepower numbers, it's often more helpful to look at horsepower/weight ratio, at least for a roll race. From a dig, too often the quicker car is also the slower car, so horsepower/weight is less helpful.

Oh I know.......but my response was to your comment that I quoted. I apologize as I didn't take it as 'generalizing'.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Nuke61 said:

if your looking at power to weight, you might want to look all possible weights. assuming the gt500 is at full weight power ~ 8.71. a gt500 coupe with all options and full gas weighs in at a little over 3900lbs. http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306517&highlight=gt500+weight
take away the mach 1000(and its 70lbs over the stock stereo) and a no option gt500 weighs in around 3850lbs. which is closer to ~ 8.56.

Last edited:

BeNBadRacing

SVT Test Dummy
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
the 03/04 cobra coupes are not that light. 3650 is more accurate.

to the original poster:

unless your car is close to 2650lbs you are losing the power to weight battle. in which case you beat the driver not the car.

exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread