Ruger Mini 14: Thoughts

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Been looking at getting a Mini 14 Tacticle with the ATI set up to do a little target shooting........

Went this weekend to check them out and I really like the way it feels in my hands and how nicely it places easily to my shoulder...I have shot this gun before, but its been a while.....

I would also get the Vertex red dot scope and a set of telescopic legs to complete the package....

On the Ruger web site it says that it is a 5.56 but on the weapon it only shows the 223 marking.....I know they are about the same but there is a slight difference between the two correct.

Any thoughts.........

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
5.56 has a higher chamber pressure and therefore is not safe to shoot in guns not marked for it. You can do it but you're playing a dangerous game.

As for the gun, they are pretty sweet as far as I know. I've never shot one, but I've held a few and I love how they feel. I can imagine an ATI stock feels the same or better as the factory stock.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have one and use it for shooting targets. I really like it. The only thing is has is a flash hider. Everything else is original, including the stock.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I would double check with Ruger, just call them. I am fairly sure it is suited for 5.56, even though its marked .223.... They both have the same dimensions, but there is a difference in pressures, 5.56 is loaded to higher pressures and velocities than .223. You can run 5.56 and .223 in a gun made for 5.56. This not true for a gun made for .223, chambers cut to .223 spec have shorter throat and headspace.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Page #11 of the instruction booklet will tell you the Mini-14 rifles are chambered for the .223 Remington cartridge and is designed to use either standardized U.S. Military, or factory loaded sporting .223 (5.56mm) cartridges....

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
y3e4umy8.jpg

Ruger website...

CobraCarrera

Established Member
5.56 has a higher chamber pressure and therefore is not safe to shoot in guns not marked for it. You can do it but you're playing a dangerous game.

As for the gun, they are pretty sweet as far as I know. I've never shot one, but I've held a few and I love how they feel. I can imagine an ATI stock feels the same or better as the factory stock.

Thanks for the info....That I did not know.......I will double check the dealer to make sure what exact caliber it is.......The web site threw me off....

I have one and use it for shooting targets. I really like it. The only thing is has is a flash hider. Everything else is original, including the stock.

Thanks...It confirms what I thought...I will probably put one on layaway and bring it home after Christmas......

CobraCarrera

Established Member
I would double check with Ruger, just call them. I am fairly sure it is suited for 5.56, even though its marked .223.... They both have the same dimensions, but there is a difference in pressures, 5.56 is loaded to higher pressures and velocities than .223. You can run 5.56 and .223 in a gun made for 5.56. This not true for a gun made for .223, chambers cut to .223 spec have shorter throat and headspace.

Page #11 of the instruction booklet will tell you the Mini-14 rifles are chambered for the .223 Remington cartridge and is designed to use either standardized U.S. Military, or factory loaded sporting .223 (5.56mm) cartridges....

y3e4umy8.jpg

Ruger website...

Thanks everyone for the quick responses and information...It pretty much confirms my future purchase...:beer:

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member
Exactly right CobraCarrera. The mini14 is about the only rifle that I'm aware of that states .223 on the rifle but IS designed for the higher pressure .556. That was discussed on Tom Greshams GunTalk web show.
Also, I learned that a few years ago, Ruger got rid of and made new molds for the Mini14, therefore improving the overall fit and finish as well as better tolerances.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Spyderbell

No Time for Gas
Established Member
i have the ranch version that's marked .223 so that's what I'll stick with. I've only shot it once but it was a blast. Next time i'm hoping to have more then a bouncing cube to shoot at though

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I love the Garand action and if it is a new Mini it is designed to shoot 5.56 NATO. I'm not sure about olders ones and would call Ruger with the serial# to check. I was always told if it says .223 than 5.56 is pushing it.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Exactly right CobraCarrera. The mini14 is about the only rifle that I'm aware of that states .223 on the rifle but IS designed for the higher pressure .556. That was discussed on Tom Greshams GunTalk web show.
Also, I learned that a few years ago, Ruger got rid of and made new molds for the Mini14, therefore improving the overall fit and finish as well as better tolerances.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Thank You for confirming what others have said...Good to know Ruger updated its quality. My buddies old Mini 14 was only 223...that I am sure about

i have the ranch version that's marked .223 so that's what I'll stick with. I've only shot it once but it was a blast. Next time i'm hoping to have more then a bouncing cube to shoot at though

I will stick with 223 as well....Its all I really need for target shooting. Good to know that I can shoot 5.56 as well.

I love the Garand action and if it is a new Mini it is designed to shoot 5.56 NATO. I'm not sure about olders ones and would call Ruger with the serial# to check. I was always told if it says .223 than 5.56 is pushing it.

I too like the garand action...Pretty nice set up....

I think they're pretty cool. I don't like the fact they don't accept AR magazine however.

Yeah....I will have to get at least 3 to 4 magazines from Ruger for the time being.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
I like that stock. I have the mini ranch version. I also have a 50 round mag I can't use. Thanks California.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Yeah...the ATI stock pretty much sold me on the gun...My buddy had the ranch rifle at the time and I really liked the way it shot.

Users who are viewing this thread