Rubberized Undercoating

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Hello,

I bought this Dupli-Color Rubberized Undercoat to paint the rear wheel well area that was fading. I painted it two days ago and it still seems wet and very sticky. It's been sunny and hot here, so I don't know why it hasn't dried completely yet.

Today I took my car out for a small drive and now there are a lot of small stones (debri) stuck in the area.

Is it supposed to be like that??

:shrug:

img3256p.jpg

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
i did the same thing.......mine dried in about a week.eventually those stones are going to come off after it's going to be completely dry.
right now it's still soft,i guess because it's rubberized

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Thanks for replying.

I was worried cause the instructions in the can say that it dries in 10 minutes and it's been more than 48 hours and still hasn't dried completely.

I think it has to do with the OEM material. I was reading that you have to remove it with a heat gun before applying the new undercoat. But I didn't want to do that.

Last edited:

bluecobra

richie
Established Member
i use this stuff all the time. put some of the duplicolor on the bottom of my fox body and it wasnt dry over a year later. i didnt put it on heavy either. you should use the permatex brand it seems to do a lot better.

DaveMan

COBRA COMMANDER
Established Member
That stuff tends to stay a bit soft and wet. I've used it and still get the area wet after a day or two and it didn't hurt anything.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I only use the 3M heavy duty stuff they sell at Napa for this reason. It actually dries. I have also used spray on bedliner too, many times, for areas where being forever sticky wasn't an option!

daschra

Established Member
Duplicolor makes a quick drying version, but I believe it is called truck bedliner. It's the same stuff though.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Any tips on how to clean that area if it's still sticky? Can I spray any detergent or degreaser to clean that area when it gets dirty?

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
Any tips on how to clean that area if it's still sticky? Can I spray any detergent or degreaser to clean that area when it gets dirty?

mine is still soft after 2 months or so and probably this is the way it's going to stay......i just washed the car today and used a brush to clean in there. you can use a brush or what ever you want.it's going to be soft but it does not come off.just give it a few more days before you spray any water in there.

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
i usually just use some black spray paint. i spray it over the factory undercoating. looks new and it doesn't get thicker from spraying more undercoating on it. plus it actually dries.

evasbird

Established Member
i used that one time, found out gas takes it right off. i would just use some good quality spray paint.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
mine is still soft after 2 months or so and probably this is the way it's going to stay......i just washed the car today and used a brush to clean in there. you can use a brush or what ever you want.it's going to be soft but it does not come off.just give it a few more days before you spray any water in there.

Thanks!!

TimKonaGT500

Established Member
I know this thread is old, but I came upon it when I used the search function (I know, right?) Had me a bit concerned on doing the wheel wells in my 01 Cobra that has its entire front and rear suspension out.

I did mine using Eastwood's Rubberized Undercoating.
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rubberized-undercoating.html out of the spray can

I prepped only with their pre-paint prep spray and a microfiber cloth:
https://www.eastwood.com/low-voc-pre-paint-prep-aerosol-12-oz.html

I used 2 cans total. I will say that I am very pleased. It seemed to dry quickly, and was completely dry by the morning. I did one moderate coat working around to each wheel well, then went back to hit any thin or un-
IMG_2847 small.jpg
IMG_2848 small.jpg
coated areas. I did mask the front fenders and rear quarters.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
really???? you bumped a 9 ****ing year old thread? just start another one. everything else here is old and pretty worthless news.

Users who are viewing this thread