RST Mcleod Clutch noise?? Advice?

white_gt500

Established Member
So like the title says, i have the RST clutch on the GT500. I started to hear a chirp when i shifted gears driving a little aggressive but not racing, any of you guys know what it may be?? Have had the clutch in maybe year and a half along with the lightened flywheel. I really just do some highway rolls every so often, replaced the clutch only when i did the swap as far as not replacing the throw out bearing and so on. Is there any adjustment or anything that can be done?? thanks for in advance!! mods are in sig, common bolt-ons

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I tried calling Mcleod just now but they're out to lunch. I'll call again here in about 45 minutes to see what they say on this. Then come back and post what they say.

white_gt500

Established Member
I tried calling Mcleod just now but they're out to lunch. I'll call again here in about 45 minutes to see what they say on this. Then come back and post what they say.

awesome man, appreciate it!!! :beer: idk if any mileage helps but i had it put in around 25k and have about to hit 40k on it, never have had any problems what so ever.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^I'm sure the more information the better. I'll have this page up while I'm on the phone with them.

If we sell a product then we try to lend support to that company when we see something like this on any forum.:beer:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
They said to take it to a shop and put an automotive stethoscope on it to see if you can localize the sound a little bit more. It's to hard to diagnose a problem over the forum for something like this.

You can try the tech line @ 714-630-3668

That's as much as I can do.

white_gt500

Established Member
They said to take it to a shop and put an automotive stethoscope on it to see if you can localize the sound a little bit more. It's to hard to diagnose a problem over the forum for something like this.

You can try the tech line @ 714-630-3668

That's as much as I can do.

no problem, thats what i figured i was going to have to do, ive been driving it easy just wanted to see if i could get a direction to look at, ill post back on here to see if i can get some info on the problem, thanks again though :beer:

GT50008

Established Member
So like the title says, i have the RST clutch on the GT500. I started to hear a chirp when i shifted gears driving a little aggressive but not racing, any of you guys know what it may be?? Have had the clutch in maybe year and a half along with the lightened flywheel. I really just do some highway rolls every so often, replaced the clutch only when i did the swap as far as not replacing the throw out bearing and so on. Is there any adjustment or anything that can be done?? thanks for in advance!! mods are in sig, common bolt-ons

I have had that chrip day one on my stock and post TSB clutch / flywheel assembly. I took it to Ford and they showed no concern. Other than that, the "old" style stock ceramic clutch works great.

johnjon87

Established Member
I had the same chirp before my rst totally blew out! like completely gone couldn't even get it going or reverse... I talked to McCleod and they said that I could send it to them and they would take a look at it and make me a custom clutch. Evolution put me on to a spec and havent looked back

white_gt500

Established Member
I had the same chirp before my rst totally blew out! like completely gone couldn't even get it going or reverse... I talked to McCleod and they said that I could send it to them and they would take a look at it and make me a custom clutch. Evolution put me on to a spec and havent looked back

Man this is something i would totally try and avoid, did they give you a reason or answer of why it happened? Did this happen on your current set up ? Im only pushing about 540hp to the wheels, I havent even made a pass at a track with this yet, just street driving. Spending another $1k for a clutch isn't really an option for me right now just starting school again.

Last edited:

johnjon87

Established Member
Man this is something i would totally try and avoid, did they give you a reason or answer of why it happened? Did this happen on your current set up ? Im only pushing about 540hp to the wheels, I havent even made a pass at a track with this yet, just street driving. Spending another $1k for a clutch isn't really an option for me right now just starting school again.

Nope they said that there was a bad batch of rst's that went out last year and that's what they thought it might be. I had the clutch in the car with my 2.6"metco pulley setup (about the same RWHP as you) for about 8 months, then I put the 3.6KB on with a 4" pulley, running 11 psi (about 700 FWHP). About 3 month later then clutch was toast! I never sent it to them because I liked the spec so much and just cut my losses.

Last edited:

white_gt500

Established Member
Nope they said that there was a bad batch of rst's that went out last year and that's what they thought it might be. I had the clutch in the car with my 2.6"metco pulley setup (about the same RWHP as you) for about 8 months, then I put the 3.6KB on with a 4" pulley, running 11 psi (about 700 FWHP). About 3 month later then clutch was toast! I never sent it to them because I liked the spec so much and just cut my losses.

Really .....yea I got mine about a year and a half ago...ill call them and see what i can dig up. thanks!!

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
Are you Guys talking about like a belt slip chirp or am I missing something?

Never knew a clutch can make a chirp sound.

white_gt500

Established Member
Are you Guys talking about like a belt slip chirp or am I missing something?

Never knew a clutch can make a chirp sound.

Thats what im trying to narrow down really, im hearing this chirp when i shift engaging into the next gear while high RPM's, i havent changed out the belt and that is next on my list, was just thinking it may have soemhting to so with the clutch but need to check my belt...car has almost 40k on the odometer with the same belt, might be the culprit.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^Same thing I sent to him in a pm yesterday evening to check it or replace.

white_gt500

Established Member
Thanks for the reply's, guess to the next question. What belts are you guys using or running right now? Going to check it out this weekend and go over the whole car.

gmr

I have a 2008 gt 500 the clutch is gone with 12,000
on it .I am bout to put in a new clutch, should I go
with RST Mcleod?

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
I have a 2008 gt 500 the clutch is gone with 12,000
on it .I am bout to put in a new clutch, should I go
with RST Mcleod?

Go with the RXT. I have the RST with about 10k miles and at least 40 passes at the track. Still zero issues but the clutch material in the RXT is a bit more forgiving over time than the RST for what i do with it

Sent from my huge ass SAMSUNG NOTE using tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread