RPMTransmissions.com Transmission in Cobra

silvercoffin

Established Member
Finally my new RPM Transmission Level V T56 is in the car and working well. I'm picking it up today and can't wait to see what it feels like.

I had heard only great things about RPM and so far their customer service and support has been fantastic. I'll elaborate more about my experience in future posts after I get to drive the car.

I decided to buy a new/rebuilt T56 after years of not being able to get from 3rd to 4th...the car always wanted to go to 2nd. I can only imagine that something is wrong with the 3rd to 4th shift fork. Other shifts were getting harder too...occasional grinds. It just wouldnt go into gear fast no matter how I adjusted the clutch. My mechanic thinks it feels great, but I'll know for sure once I get it back to the track.

Is there really a break in on transmissions? RPM didnt say anything and I'm in the process of breaking in a new clutch that needs another 300 or so miles on it. That enough for the trans?

I'll post again tonight.:beer:

Jay G

Established Member
Sounds cool I'm interested in seeing how easy shifts are gonna be. What did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

silvercoffin

Established Member
.$$$$$$$$$$$

A lot.... I was originally going to with Astroperformance.com who I have heard very good things about but the guy there didnt return my calls on time so I went with RPM instead. I had heard good things about both shops.

From Astro it was around $1850 shipped for a stock rebuilt with 26 spline input

From RPM it was around the same for their stock T56 and it was $2500 shipped for their level V 26 spline with the lethal perf. Steel retainer sleave as well. Their level v they claim will actually free up some HP...i forget why.. Has something to do with the bronze pads they use i think.

You can see the differences between the two packages rpm offers on their website.. Rpmtransmissions.com

I liked the idea of buying a trans that is supposed to be better than stock rather than a %100 stock rebuild with the exception of the input shaft...from astro. Astro didnt offer the other upgrades RPM does. I'm not sure how much of a difference they make but the vette guys swear by RPM.

silvercoffin

Established Member

Yeah I know...will the clutch break in be adaquate for the trans too?
I actually managed to get 160 miles on the clutch already....before switching to the new trans.

Does a trans itself really need break in?

silvercoffin

Established Member
???

Why was my clutch cable tighter tonight?

I noticed the car seemed to be shifting funny....I checked the firewall adjuster and there was a very little free play. much less than 1/4 inch people say.

I would think as the clutch wears i would need to tighten up the cable not loosen it.

FaYgOkRiS

SVT BOSS 570
Established Member
HELL YEAH!!! I just ordered a new T-56 from RPM as well, great guys. T.J. and I talked about the stage five, but in the end we decided a full g-force build would be est for what I was doing. Still another two weeks till it ships though.............. I miss my car!!!!

KB04Cobra

You're STILL gonna LOSE
Established Member
Why was my clutch cable tighter tonight?

I noticed the car seemed to be shifting funny....I checked the firewall adjuster and there was a very little free play. much less than 1/4 inch people say.

I would think as the clutch wears i would need to tighten up the cable not loosen it.

as the tranny heats up from driving around the clutch cable might get tighter. I usually keep about a dimes thickness between the cable and the adjuster when its at temp. And i keep about 1 inch of threads out on the firewall adjuster, as the clutch breaks in you thread it in but keep about half an inch out from the firewall.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
change the fluid at 50 miles, 250 miles, and 500 miles. only city driving with lots of shifting. not highway miles.

regular dexron ONLY.

reverse will be tighter than tom thumbs butt, but will eventually loosen up (mine took about 2500 miles)

im quite happy with my rpm trans.

silvercoffin

Established Member

Dont know about dimes thickness.. I was trying that to get my old trans to shift better and it started getting harder to get into gear with so little play in the cable. I know it can change but I never saw it get this tight..

I'll experiment i guess. I have it just under 1/4 inch at the firewall now and it seems to shift better that way...who knows though things could be weird while the clutch breaks in right?

WOW change the fluid that much? IM surprised RPM doesnt recommend something. Why so many changes? Do you think that metal flakes off gears and needs to be flushed out? The shop that installed for me said change it before the winter, but not after only 50 miles.

Why not go with synthetic fluid once its got some miles on it?

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
I have an RPM Transmissions Level IV T-56 in my Cobra and it's awesome! Thanks for reminding me John, I have to drain and fill the trans tommorrow!!

-Mike

silvercoffin

Established Member

That's a sign of some really poor quality. I hope that isnt the case.

If that was normal ford would have us changing the fluid at short intervals when the car is new.

I know its a possibility but its not right to find tons of metal pieces in a trans.

Hanlons site (trans shop in PA) says nothing about changing fluid...only to go easy on the trans for 500 miles...

I am going to change mine before the winter for sure. Maybe ill call RPM and see what they recommend.

silvercoffin

Established Member
./....

How come there was no metal filings in my stock t56 when I finally changed the fluid at 15,000 miles?

If thats true that really worries me...for the amount I spent on the trans i wouldnt expect that.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
My level 5 whines a little in 3rd but its no biggie. The .5 6th gear is NICE!

fjules

Established Member
So how does the transmission feel? I really hate my stock T56, it shifts like crap! I am going to do something about it. I will have someone rebuild mine, just not sure who. I am looking for a unit that can hold my power level (615rwhp) but also shift silky smooth.

silvercoffin

Established Member

It maybe to soon to say because I am still breaking in the clutch and trans.

3rd to 4th definetely shifts better.
So far the other shifts feel as sloppy as my stock t56.

I will really know once its broken in and I get backto the track.

Users who are viewing this thread