RPM's

Rebelstylez

Crewchief Extraordinaire
Established Member
What RPM's should I launch at? Last Friday I was just kind of "feathering" the pedal and was launching around 1700-2000 RPM's on street tires. I had a little bit of spin but not much. I ran a 9.37(1/8 mile). I'm getting 4.10s installed tomorrow so I know it will be waaaay different. What RPM's do you guys recommend? I know I need DR's but thats on the way after the gears. Thanks in advance....

Qtr milerocket

The Human Calculator
Established Member
Hello Chris,

It will be a little difficult to launch cleanly with that gear :), but not impossible.

First try launching between 1000-1500 rpm's and slip the clutch, then see if it spins and if it doesn't, up the launch rpm by 500 or so each time until you get some spin, and then back the rpm down until it doesn't spin.

Another way is to leave off idle or a hair above, the main thing is to have self control (ie: your throttle foot) off of the line, I've gotten 2.0's like this., practice leaving a stoplight as hard as you can but with just a hint of wheelspin and then take this approach to the track, remember to be as smooth as you can with the throttle (ie: leave like its on ice, real gentle).

The main thing to remember is that the gear will recover the car very fast so a huge amount of rpm off of the line (ie: above 3500 or so) is not needed, just get out there and practice, practice, practice.

Good Luck

James :coolman:

Rebelstylez

Crewchief Extraordinaire
Established Member
Well track conditions were pretty crappy because it rained all day and they did a poor job of drying the track. My best was a 9.1.......Its hard getting used to the new the new gears, but after a few runs I think I had it down pretty good. DR's are next on my shopping list! Thanks for your help man.

Qtr milerocket

The Human Calculator
Established Member
That's good Chris, almost 3 tenth's :eek: way to go man :-D :-D. Hopefully you'll be able to go again when the track is better prepared and it doesn't rain :cuss:.
I suspect that if you do go back you'll see even more of a gain, car should easily go 8.90's or better as it sits, when you get the drag radials with practice and good track prep you should see mid to low 8's with good driving.

Oh yeah what's the name of the track were you race at, and if you know it the elevation?, keep me posted I want to see you well you do :rockon:.

Later

Qtr milerocket

The Human Calculator
Established Member
I forgot Chris:idea:, I already had the site to get your track elevation which is 500 feet, that's not too horrible, check this site out.
www.chasinracin.com :thumbsup:

James

Last edited:

Rebelstylez

Crewchief Extraordinaire
Established Member
It was a pretty crappy night. My best was a 9.3X. I don't know what the hell happend but oh well. Theres always next Friday!

Qtr milerocket

The Human Calculator
Established Member
Good Chris,

So a 9.1 is your goal to beat, it could of been any number of things from poor track prep to bad weather conditions. Just keep trying and never give up ;-), I did forget to mention that on "real 35k-40k mile radials" you should be going around the water and doing a quick spin up to the line to clean the tires off not a power-brake as this will get the street tires too greasy, but if you are already doing this then just ignore this :D.

One more thing, do you have a shift light?, that will get you real consistent on your shifting, and if you are able to, some dyno time, as this will allow you to see where your making peak power and you can adjust your shifting accordingly.

Well you can do it man just take your time and it'll come to you, good luck and keep me updated.

Last edited:

Rebelstylez

Crewchief Extraordinaire
Established Member
FINALLY!!! I ran a 9.0 this last Friday. It was a good night. I was running 9.2s the first few runs, then I hit a 9.1 and finally a 9.0!!! Man I was so excited. I feel as if I got my launch down perfect. I was keeping up with some pretty fast cars. I raced a 05/06 Roush and lost by half a car. I'm not sure if the guy knew how to drive or not but either way it was close. I'd get him off the launch then he would reel me in. Really cool guy though. There was also a new GT500 out there. It was a yellow/orange looking color. The guy couldn't launch for crap so he was only running 9.2-9.4s. I wanted to run him but so did everybody else. Can't wait untill I get my "sticky" tires. Hopefully I can get into the 8's!!!!

Last edited:

Qtr milerocket

The Human Calculator
Established Member
Great Chris :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What was your 60' times?, they should be in the 1.9-2.0 range if they aren't already. The car has 8.90's in it as it sits, it definately will run the number with the cooler air coming ie: 50-60 degree weather, although when the temperature drops it will be even harder to launch (just a matter of adjusting your launch rpm and your throttle foot :D)

I've said before mid to low 8's aren't a problem with drag radials, some are tricky to launch and you have to learn them and how to launch on a hot surface versus a cold surface, but in any case it'll be a ton more fun to drive especially on the street :rockon:

Glad you were showing the crew what an 02' GT will do :rockon:

Again congratulations next stop the 8's, and it may come sooner than you expected!

Users who are viewing this thread