RPM hang when throttle is open

Mark185

Established Member
when I have the car at wide open throttle, my rpm's will climb fast & steady until about the 5000- 6000 range where the tach will slow up and then just hang there for a second (feels like it stops pulling) and then continue to climb (not very fast). happened to anyone else? Car is stock save for exhaust and gears, with 66k miles.

yesterday I was cruising about 35-40 mph and dropped it in second gear.. it pulled through that fast. Got into 3rd gear and it acted like it was running out of steam top end. I usually isn't noticeable in 1st gear, it could be that 1st is so short.

Last edited:

Mark185

Established Member
checked the imrc's today they are smooth. The actuator works but it seemed like there was a little slack in the cables... not sure if they are supposed to be like that.

I think i'm going to try and clean the mass air sensor tomorrow

all filters on the car are fairly new, i think the fuel filter is about 8k miles old

Last edited:

RickwithCobra

Established Member
hey i got exhaust and gears to on my 96, and i cleaned my imrcs like 3 months ago and i have the same problem, the car is not tuned tho and runs really rich and i am thinking maybe spark plugs, which r 2 years old are to blame but idk

i am getting the car tuned thursday and i am putting in new spark plugs in in a few days, so i will let ya no if that changes anything

Mark185

Established Member
hey i got exhaust and gears to on my 96, and i cleaned my imrcs like 3 months ago and i have the same problem, the car is not tuned tho and runs really rich and i am thinking maybe spark plugs, which r 2 years old are to blame but idk

i am getting the car tuned thursday and i am putting in new spark plugs in in a few days, so i will let ya no if that changes anything

thanks Rick :beer:

RickwithCobra

Established Member
i put some new spark plugs, ngk tr55, and the car deffinetly felt alot better, and after the tune, the car is driving the best it has ever driven and it has 113000 miles on it lol

Users who are viewing this thread