Royal Purple Racing ATF in T56 Magnum

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
Is this a good oil to run? I can't get my hand on any Amsoil syn ATF

Feedback and views would be appreciated.

bubblehead93

Established Member
Can you get Amsoil Synchromesh? Can't speak for the Royal Purple ATF... but I'm stationed in Guam and have the Amsoil shipped in FPO AP... so if I can get it, anyone can... no excuses lol... in any event, the single biggest improvement I saw in shift quality after installing an aftermarket shifter (I'm a PRO-5.0 guy, to each their own) was when I shifted (no pun intended) to Amsoil Synchromesh... can't speak for other oils... I have never had a want/reason to shift once I went with Amsoil... Royal Purple has Synchromax, their version of the same product... If you are a Royal Purple guy, probably want to go with that... just can't speak first hand since I have never used it...

both of these lubricants are designed for manual transmissions which which temselves were designed to use ATF as a lubricant... my experience with the Amsoil MTF is that it out performs any of the ATFs I tried... especially for those 6k shifts at WOT...

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
No Brand loyalty.

I do think that Amsoil does make a great product. I will be running their synthetic once my engine if broken in

lots of views, not a lot of opinions

Det_riot

Established Member
I run Dex 4 IIRC. whatever it says on the sticker from tremec. Its big and orange on the bottom of the trans. No issues here

bubblehead93

Established Member
there are a lot of old threads from back in the day, folks worried about hurting their trans by not running ATF... a lot of bad info about t56 internals... 12+ years of abusive driving with synchromesh, no issues... like I said, it made a huge difference in shift quality for me as well as reduced tranny noise... down side may be for a road race application, based on my observation, the thicker oil seems to retain more heat... modded t56s out there, especially vettes for road race applications with sprayers, a pump, and coolers... just like the diff coolers for the irs... 99.9999% don't need all of that... said my piece, hunt around a bit, see what folks who really abuse their trans on a regular basis use (drag racing more of a shock, road racing more of long term heat generation problem for both motor and trans)...

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Ive used Pennzoil, RP and Amsoil. Its hard to say which I like better between the RP and Amsoil. I think you would be happy with either. Id recommend buying one and on the next scheduled service, switch to the other to try it out.

SlowSVT

Established Member
there are a lot of old threads from back in the day, folks worried about hurting their trans by not running ATF... a lot of bad info about t56 internals... 12+ years of abusive driving with synchromesh, no issues... like I said, it made a huge difference in shift quality for me as well as reduced tranny noise... down side may be for a road race application, based on my observation, the thicker oil seems to retain more heat... modded t56s out there, especially vettes for road race applications with sprayers, a pump, and coolers... just like the diff coolers for the irs... 99.9999% don't need all of that... said my piece, hunt around a bit, see what folks who really abuse their trans on a regular basis use (drag racing more of a shock, road racing more of long term heat generation problem for both motor and trans)...

That's interesting

Tremec seems pretty adamant about using ATF over gear oil. I think it has something to do with the CF syncro blocker rings being incompatible. Gear oil will have higher film strength than ATF but there may be more to it than that. Without doing back-to-back and long term testing it's difficult to asses what the best oil to use is. Any quality Dextron II compatible ATF would be fine with me.

I like the idea of running gear oil over ATF but it will increase parasitic drag but should "cushion" things better. I've got an upgraded Magnum. I wonder what Liberty has to say about this.

bubblehead93

Established Member
years ago, I can remember a bunch of testy forum discussions about this... bottomline, there is nothing in a cobra t56 that synchromesh can hurt... i rebuilt mine... other than a tired input shaft bearing... after 12 years of hard driving, most of it with synchromesh... the inside was like new... including the blocker rings... replaced them out of principle... also, the GM t56s used synchromesh... this is not heavy weight gear oil, pretty light weight stuff, just heavier than ATF... I think the use of ATF is all about parasitic loss and likely an attempt to beat the gas guzzler tax, just like cars today with 5W-20 oil... it is all about gas mileage... in 03 they were unsuccessful with the guzzler tax, because I paid it when I bought it... I think in 04 they were able to beat it...

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
My tuner runs Dex III in his Factory Five Roadster that he road races(t56 Magnum and coyote) I went with Mobil 1 ATF D/M III-H(supposedly that H is just the most recent III)

I will however be switching over to Amsoil. I just have to order some up.

bubblehead93

Established Member
Amsoil Torque Drive which is Dex III compliant. I've tried all above mentioned in this thread and it works best in my opinion.

I guess the bottomline is, DEX III ATF or Synchromesh MTF, both work, find the one that gives you the best result in the area your looking for... then go with it...

mhinchley

Established Member
I used the royal purple synchromax in my t56 this summer & it worked very well. Shifted better. I just drained it though cuz putting an auto in now.

Users who are viewing this thread