Royal Purple (for break in)?

ExedyCobra

Established Member
I currently am about to buy a 03-04 Cobra crate engine (4.6L 4V Supercharged V8) with 0 miles so the break-in period will start for the first 1000 miles. The main question is would anyone recommend Royal Purple Motor Oil for the new motor? Just trying to get my inquiry here if it would be a good idea or a death trap. Thank you for reading my post!

1hot281

Established Member
Automotive - Royal Purple

royal-purple-break-In-oil.gif

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Great choice! This our only conventional oil in the whole product line, it is a 10W-30.

1hot281 is correct, you always want to use a break in lubricant for the first 500 miles.

This/\

Never use a full synthetic oil for a break in oil, it can get in the way of the initial wear and match up of the face of the piston rings and the surface of the cylinder walls. It can slow down and even stop that desirable wear at the beginning of an engine's life where the rings match up on a microscopic level more closely to the exact shape and surface of the hot cylinder walls.

Allowing this initial ring wear results in a much better cylinder seal.

The window of opportunity for this wear is quite brief and should be taken advantage of immediately after the engine reaches operating temperature.

Short 4 to 5 second bursts of wide open throttle creates high cylinder pressures which forces the piston rings out onto the cylinder walls harder than light throttle easy driving. This makes the rings break in and match up much faster.

Eventually the abrasive nature of the cylinder cross hatch wears away and no further ring shaping can take place. Depending on the cylinder hone that was used this can be in as little as 50 to 100 miles, don't miss this opportunity for a better ring seal.

ExedyCobra

Established Member
Thanks for the reply guys and I never did research on Royal Purple having a break-in oil. Thanks for the link by the way! Good thing you told me about the piston ring break-in! I'm gonna build on to the engine so doing WOT runs would have costed me alot! Again, thanks for your inquiry guys :)

Users who are viewing this thread