Roush to GT500?

BLK_5.0

Established Member
Hey guys, looking for some input.

I love the sound of my Roush AB but want the look of the gt500 setup. I have no plans in the immediate future to change headers or go cat-less so the Roush is perfect for me as far as sound. I will be getting the valence soon and was wondering what would be comparable to the Roush sound wise (gt500 w/xpipe, magnaflow etc) or if swapping out tips on my current setup is possible. My Roush tips are just clamp on so swapping them out isnt my concern....fitment in the diffuser/being centered is. I also have tried using youtube to search for a gt500 setup I like as much as my Roush, but it is hard for me to tell without seeing them in person. Any thoughts?

Famine

Established Member
Just shop for different tips. I think corsa and borla have options out there. Ws6 guys would always get the borla exhaust and throw on corsa tips.

BLK_5.0

Established Member
I like the stangmods setup...wonder what the tips look like. Id assume they're a factory set? I think Tasca sells the valence for like $170 so i may see how much a set of tips would cost. I did a quick search and looked like Borla were gonna be pretty expensive.

01svtL

Established Member
I'd switch to the 13/14 gt500 AB. The Roush is just obnoxious to me. Both in sound and in volume. If you haven't already, you can delete cats and/or resonators for more volume.

imeyers302

Established Member

BLK_5.0

Established Member
I'd switch to the 13/14 gt500 AB. The Roush is just obnoxious to me. Both in sound and in volume. If you haven't already, you can delete cats and/or resonators for more volume.

I have been looking into doing the gt500 AB with resonator deletes. No doubt the Roush is obnoxious but I love it. Definitely feel like a punk tho when I fire it up for work at 6am (Neighbors luckily say they love it)

01svtL

Established Member

BLK_5.0

Established Member
Be aware those wont look right w a gt500 valance (or stock even, probably), unless you like the look of tips sticking way out. 13/14 gt500 tips are offset for a reason. They follow the slanted lines of the bumper and valance, while those tips are straight across both.
Things i had to deal with when having my custom setup fabricated.

Good call, didn't really think of that. I am not a fan of tips sticking way out.....my Roushs are even a little too much for my taste.

01svtL

Established Member
Good call, didn't really think of that. I am not a fan of tips sticking way out.....my Roushs are even a little too much for my taste.

Yea. I got a pair of tips off eBay that ws6 guys use a lot. I had the shop cut and extend one of the tips on each side so that the pair, though staggered, come out to about flush with the valance (like the Kooks or Corsa 13/14 t500 tips). None of that would have been worth it if the shop hadn't cut me a big deal since it's the first Mustang (lsx shop) they had ever worked on and it took them way longer to finish than they expected since their welder was having major problems.
Looking back, I would have just waited for a used axle back to pop up. It'll be tough for the shop to get the tips to look right if that's the route you go. I'd just get the stock 13/14 GT500 axle back if you want the cheapest route right now. It's noticeable, but not obnoxious. Remove the resonators and people will definitely know you're there. The tips also line up perfectly with the valance - better than the aftermarket kits, since they are angled.

Flcracker

Established Member
I'm also going from my Roush axle backs to the GT 500 on my 2011 GT, but I'm going with an x pipe too. Hey, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the gt500 mufflers actually visible from the back of the car. I'm talking about the large chamber part of the mufflers. I'm not certain about that, but if so do any of you guys paint the mufflers to hide them? I'm thinking about painting them black to match the paint, but not sure what kind of paint to use. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
I scuffed the visible part of the muffler up and painted it with some hitemp black I had laying around. It's been on for 3-4 months now with no issues. It was a gloss black and if I was doing it again I'd use a matte or something similar to the look of the valance. It looks fine and is not a huge issue, just the gloss black looks shiny under certain light and the point of painting it was to make it blend in and not stick out in the first place. I'll try and get some pics after work.

Flcracker

Established Member
Hey thanks for the tip. Pictures would be very cool. Ok so matte black high temp paint sounds right. Man, I do not understand why Ford couldn't hide the gt 500 mufflers. It looks ridiculous to me.

When u say perperation is key do u mean preparing the surface to accept the paint? Would you lightly sand the mufflers a bit? O3gtinfla, how did u scuff them up? Thank you.

Last edited:

Famine

Established Member
Yeah scuff them up real nice. Then mask what you don't want painted, then wipe with solvent to clean any oils. You can use a tack cloth right before your spray but it's not required as its not a detailed job. If you do though, don't press much at all, just let it glide across the surface. That will eliminate the dust and not leave oils from the wipes. I think most of the paints you will use will be it's own primer, so you usually don't have to prime beforehand.

Flcracker

Established Member
Ok, just to be sure, by solvent do u mean like paint thinner ?? By the way, Famine, the Rottweiler is a bad ass dog!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread