ROUSH or Whipple? 14' A6 AED Supercharged Superstar

5.0 Silverback

Established Member
Finally taking the dive into a supercharger. Been running my N/A setup at the track and love everything about it but the modding bug has bitten again...

AED will be doing the install of the system. We have narrowed it down to either ROUSH or Whipple.

Looking for some personal experience on each and advantage/disadvantage vs. each other.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Either one is good roush has the warranty, I'm not sure if whipple does through ford racing! The whipple whine is the best in the business....

REDS197

Established Member
Does AED Have there own package?

VMP has a better kit than the Roush. I would get the Gen II VMP much better torque.

Last edited:

olaosunt

Established Member
Below is a comparison of my 2.9 whipple/10 rib 3.25 pulley/20% lower/E85 making 18 psi on 9.5:1 compression alluminator-rest in peace/pieces — lol:rolling:(green)
And snake bite TVS/VMP 8 rib 75 mm pulley/5% lower/race gas making 18 psi on 11.5 MMR boss motor(red).
Different dyno/day/conditions-Whipple was in feb and temps were 40,TVS was recent and temps were in 80's
Yes I know, apples and oranges but not sure if the higher compression alone can make up for the huge torque difference
URL=http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/olaosunt/media/TVS-RACE-11-VS-WHIPPLE-E85-95-5_zps80bc23cb.jpg.html]
TVS-RACE-11-VS-WHIPPLE-E85-95-5_zps80bc23cb.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

5.0 Silverback

Established Member
Does AED Have there own package?

VMP has a better kit than the Roush. I would get the Gen II VMP much better torque.

Going to be cheaper to ship it outa state in. Avoid those nasty CA tax rates.
Was not leaning toward VMP as this will be custom tuned dyno tuned from AED as well.

Stevenb913

Coyote
Established Member
Vmp definitely. It's a really good deal and a lot of people have had really good experience dealing with them. I'm getting the Vmp stage 3 because it comes with ID1000's and a fuel pump booster, along with the upgraded throttle body. I'm going to run his tunes and eventually get a dyno tune. But the supplied data logged tunes are pretty on point.

Last edited:

FIFTY

Established Member
I'm a little bias, I'd say your best bet would be TVS, I've been 9.9's@135 with my setup, if you want to go faster without breaking the bank, you might want to choose a different route. I have no issues with mines for the most part, other than I want to go faster, and stay kinda smog able when the time comes...

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Most of the power adders will be fun on these cars. It's the nature of the engine. Typically at lower boost levels 7-13, the TVS is going to shine a little more. The whipples and larger blowers are going to start showing through above 15 psi.

Roush and VMP both make a nice kit with different options. We have both packages available. I'd def recommend going with the ID's whichever you choose, that will give you some growing room, and the potential to add in some e85 down the road.

Grabberblue_5.0

Established Member
I'm a little bias, I'd say your best bet would be TVS, I've been 9.9's@135 with my setup, if you want to go faster without breaking the bank, you might want to choose a different route. I have no issues with mines for the most part, other than I want to go faster, and stay kinda smog able when the time comes...

how much u power u makin an is your motor stock?

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Below is a comparison of my 2.9 whipple/10 rib 3.25 pulley/20% lower/E85 making 18 psi on 9.5:1 compression alluminator-rest in peace/pieces — lol:rolling:(green)
And snake bite TVS/VMP 8 rib 75 mm pulley/5% lower/race gas making 18 psi on 11.5 MMR boss motor(red).
Different dyno/day/conditions-Whipple was in feb and temps were 40,TVS was recent and temps were in 80's
Yes I know, apples and oranges but not sure if the higher compression alone can make up for the huge torque difference
URL=http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/olaosunt/media/TVS-RACE-11-VS-WHIPPLE-E85-95-5_zps80bc23cb.jpg.html]
TVS-RACE-11-VS-WHIPPLE-E85-95-5_zps80bc23cb.jpg
[/URL]

Yes, compression does make a huge difference in power and torque, to answer that question. With a stock compression motor, our 2.9L @ 14-15 psi made 755 rwhp.

As far as choosing between the two blowers, they are both great choices. My choice would be the 2.9L Whipple because it has the ability to make more power if you choose to grow into it. It also works very well at lower boost levels. I guess my thinking is it would be cheaper in the long run if your goals are 750+ rwhp without having to really spin the blower. You could go the TVS route and hit the blowers limit, then you can upgrade to the larger Whipple compressor as it's a direct swap, but you're looking at over $3k for the compressor by itself.

Flaco1

Established Member
I love my 2.9 Whipple. The car drive like stock and reliable . Love the whine while pulling like a freight train. I can honestly say its crazy fast. Pushing 746 rwhp and 696 rwtq and still has more left in it. Will be heading to the track pretty soon to see what it can do.

Users who are viewing this thread