Roush Axle-Back Owners - Rust Issues?

magnido45

Established Member
Hi Guys...how are your Roush Axle-Backs holding up? Any rust issues? I remember a few years back there were a lot of posts about rust issues with the older offerings (that did not have the weep hole) but what about the recent offerings that you guys have installed? Please share your stories. Thanks.

jgt58

Established Member
One of mine is rattling now.... After about an hour of driving.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

matt5058

Established Member
Good timing on this question. I am currently trying to remove my Roush ABs to try out a set of "mystery" ABs that I just picked up from another member on this forum. Here's what my Roush ABs look like after five and a half years and approximately 57k miles.

IMG-4290.JPG IMG-4291.JPG

magnido45

Established Member
One of mine is rattling now.... After about an hour of driving.

Uuuggghhh... sorry to hear that I have also read some post on rattling issues too... I'm interested in buying a set but if the quality issues still remain as they have in the past I may have to pass...

magnido45

Established Member
Good timing on this question. I am currently trying to remove my Roush ABs to try out a set of "mystery" ABs that I just picked up from another member on this forum. Here's what my Roush ABs look like after five and a half years and approximately 57k miles.

View attachment 1618389 View attachment 1618388

Thanks for sharing this is very helpful!!! Just looking at your photos I seriously thought they were like over 20 years old!!! This really pushes me away from buying these now...

matt5058

Established Member
Thanks for sharing this is very helpful!!! Just looking at your photos I seriously thought they were like over 20 years old!!! This really pushes me away from buying these now...
Yeah, they are looking a bit busted, lol. To give a little bit more context...I'm in the DC/VA area so the car has seen at least a little bit of salt. Also the car wasn't garaged the first two years or so that I owned it, unfortunately, and I've never really attempted to clean or polish the ABs.

Like jgt58 said though, the sound is awesome. I am just trying something else to see if its a little bit quieter. If I don't end up liking the ABs that I just picked up, I will probably clean/polish the Roush and put them back on. I'm still considering the GT500s though, so we'll see.

jgt58

Established Member
Ya know I'm wondering if thiers any way to put some kind of rust inhibitor on it on initial purchase?

jgt58

Established Member
Because honestly the sound is worth it. I get complements on mine all the time.

magnido45

Established Member
Ya know I'm wondering if thiers any way to put some kind of rust inhibitor on it on initial purchase?

I know there's exhaust paint that can be used but of course it'll take away the brand new metallic look... But I'm not sure what can be done about the tips as some owners have complained about rust on these tips as well.

jgt58

Established Member
I haven't had any issues with rust on the tips. But with the paint. Get it in silver and send it....

8ballBooker

Established Member
I've had mine for almost two years with no issues and no complaints. Tips look great, BUT, I haven't looked for any rust on the mufflers themselves (car is in storage right now). Like others, the sound is great and well worth it.

2012 3.7, Barton short throw, Roush exhaust and intake, J&M panhard bar and camber plates. Upper strut bar, Eibach pro dampers. vogtland springs. Foose grill and sport rims with Cooper RS3. MMD side louvers, wilpak rear louvers. Stillen chin spoiler. GT500 spoiler. CDC rear panel

Users who are viewing this thread