Roush Axle Back installed question.

ACESnEIGHTS

Established Member
Installed Roush axle back today. All went smooth except when I tried to adjust chrome tips. I pushed the tips back as far as they would go, but they still stuck out a little more than factory tips. Anyone else experience this? They don't look bad but I would have liked to have them set back a little more. The tips do not stick out past rear valance so I guess it looks right. On a side note these are bad ass axle backs, sound is amazing. I now truly have a Muscle car!
Roushexhaust.gif

Last edited:

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
yep they stick out on all 13s like that because they were designed for the 11-12 cars that the rear bumper/valence sticks a little farther out than the 13-14s. Its even worse if you dont have the Boss/CS rear valence. glad I finally got one lol

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Yeah that's a roush characteristic, I replaced my roushes with gt-500 axle backs , the novelty of loud exhaust wears off. The gt-500's dont stick out that much! Another issue with roushes is water collection that sits in the bottom of the can style muffler. I drilled weep holes in the bottom of my roushes after 3 months of operation and got a cup of water out of each of them. I recommend you drill a small hole in the bottom otherwise your looking at premature internal rust in the future!

Slammintone

Established Member
I thought You Tube vids were a little raspy, but I took a chance based on reviews and im glad I did. This is some bad ass sounding AB's

In a way I'm glad people listen to the poorly recorded Roush AB clips and think they do rasp and pop. If they could get the real sound recorded, every other GT on the road would have them and my own ride (Roush AB equipped) wouldn't seem as special!

From now on people, don't claim to know what an exhaust sounds like unless you've heard it in person on your vehicle, and can give an accurate account of them. The Roush AB kills just simply kills. It gives your Mustang a legendary Mustang race car soundtrack. Those that have them know what I'm talking about. The only time I've heard people that have them say they wanted something else was because they were doing other mods to their cars exhaust with the result of the car now being too loud with the Roush. Never because of excessive popping or raspiness. Your Coyote engine will pop a little bit even with stock exhaust if you listen to it. It's just what it is. My Roush AB may let you hear the same thing but it's effectively muffled and muted for the most part. That popping is no worse than on any other high quality exhaust setup I've heard.

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Roush ab with an o/r xpipe are raspy and anoying. I had them on my car. Never again. With stock mid pipe they sound good though.

goat-ee

Established Member
Too raspy for my taste. I like to actually have a sound. Not just popopopopopop

Your sig says you have muffler deletes. There is no worse sound on ANY car than no mufflers at all, and the definition of raspy.

I can only speak for my car, and with the rest of the exhaust being stock, but the sound of my car has been best described by a person I respect greatly. His description was "it sounds like a REALLY angry Panther"!! Anyone that owns it, knows this is the perfect way to say it!! Just sounds angry, not loud during normal driving, but just wicked at full throttle!!

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Your sig says you have muffler deletes. There is no worse sound on ANY car than no mufflers at all, and the definition of raspy.

I can only speak for my car, and with the rest of the exhaust being stock, but the sound of my car has been best described by a person I respect greatly. His description was "it sounds like a REALLY angry Panther"!! Anyone that owns it, knows this is the perfect way to say it!! Just sounds angry, not loud during normal driving, but just wicked at full throttle!!

i have a friend that has muffler deletes and offroad mid pipe and to me they sound better than the roush with offroad mid pipe. a little deeper and alot less raspy. i dont know why the roush ab sounds so raspy.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Roush ab with an o/r xpipe are raspy and anoying. I had them on my car. Never again. With stock mid pipe they sound good though.

Everyone has a different def of "raspy". I like to use the term "Clanky", like a bunch of marbles bouncing around inside a tin can, then the sound just "stops" when you let up. The old-school sound is a deep male lions roar (if you've ever heard them on nature shows, or a deep grumble. The 4.6's had the same type of sound, but a little higher-pitched. Ive heard the Roush on line and in person and I dont like that sound at all for our cars. I actually saw some before and after comparison videos (Roush were after) and in most cases, I said I like the "before" sound better. As long as it doesnt sound like a cheap weed-eater (you know which those are), I think you're good.

That being said, OP: you dont have to be defensive or upset if someone doesnt care for that sound. A lot of people dont like things about my car, but as long as it's not a "rice" thing, who cares.. It's our cars and we do what we like to them. I am :banana: that everyone doesnt like the exact same thing on their car that I do..BORING!

If ur happy with it, GREAT!! :rockon:

RC

balboky01

Established Member
OP, pull the tips off and take a cutting wheel and cut off about an inch of metal at the end of the tip. and they should slide back enough to tuck in nicely. Thats what i did to mine and it looked perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread