Roush 360R? Help

svtTom01

Motorboatin' S.O.B
Established Member
I need some help. I know this is a SVT board, not a Roush board, but I have a few questions regarding the 2002 Roush 360R. For a few months I have contemplated trading the L in for either a 2003 Cobra or newer (like 2001-2002) Saleen. I found a Roush in the Twin Cities at a dealer and it seems like a good deal. They are asking $31k for it and it is a 2002 with 2600 miles. They say it has a CAI, flowmasters and x pipe and a smalley pulley. I like the collectibillity of it, but not sure about mods done by previous owner. I might just go with a new Cobra, but any help regarding a Roush 360R and reliabilty and what not would be greatly appreciated. Here are the links.

http://www.morries.com/UsedVehicles/detail.asp?IT=&UVID=1129514&searchid=111

http://www.fast-autos.net/roush/roush360r.html

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
whoa now dont go jumping into any Saleen or Roush. My friend had too many problems when it came to selling/trading for another car. After a Saleen/Roush rolls off of the floor the only people you are going to want to sell that car to is another car enthusiast like yourself. I would get either a 2003/2004 Cobra or stick with the L. Good luck with your decision but I warn you. Its just a GT once you get it home.

svtTom01

Motorboatin' S.O.B
Established Member
I really would like to see a stock 03 Cobra versus a stock Roush360R in a race. Roush quotes a 12.3 at 109 mph quarter, which to me seems extremely exagerrated.

svtTom01

Motorboatin' S.O.B
Established Member
The problem is that I still owe a lot on my truck. I need to get rid of the truck first because I do not need a fourth car. I think I will sell most of my audio/video stuff that is in it and trade the L in and use the money from the stuff to make for a bigger down payment. Thanks for your insight.

white99gt

Established Member
The saleens and roush cars are just hopped up gt's.For that money get a cobra.
The cobra has a built bottomend to build on the others do not.Unless you get a saleen E .But thats WAY more money than is needed to be spent.

Or find you ca gt cheap and mod the hell out of it.

With the deals going now .You can get a mach1 or cobra at killer deals NEW.

Wildpony_2

Oh Really......
Established Member
Originally posted by svtTom01
I need some help. I know this is a SVT board, not a Roush board, but I have a few questions regarding the 2002 Roush 360R. For a few months I have contemplated trading the L in for either a 2003 Cobra or newer (like 2001-2002) Saleen. I found a Roush in the Twin Cities at a dealer and it seems like a good deal. They are asking $31k for it and it is a 2002 with 2600 miles. They say it has a CAI, flowmasters and x pipe and a smalley pulley. I like the collectibillity of it, but not sure about mods done by previous owner. I might just go with a new Cobra, but any help regarding a Roush 360R and reliabilty and what not would be greatly appreciated. Here are the links.

http://www.morries.com/UsedVehicles/detail.asp?IT=&UVID=1129514&searchid=111

http://www.fast-autos.net/roush/roush360r.html

Um wouldn't a pulley void the warranty? I would look into that as well. I know it was mentioned but yeah for a little less or same money you can get an 03' NEW w/ warranty. My 2 cents.

Silver 03 Cobra

Look under the hood and look at the Roush and then look at the 03 Cobra. You are paying a lot of money just to have someone install an M90 on top of a stock GT engine. I went with a buddy and drove to Brandon Ford near Tampa from NC to pick up a 10th ann. coupe he bought for $29k. They had standard 03 coupes for $27k. They had a lot of Roushes. They had a few of the models that are an entry level with the Stg. III engine. I don't remember what it's called. But, it's basically a GT with a Magna Flow catback with wider tires/wheels and standard GT brakes for $39k on the window sticker. Cough, cough, cough.

You can't turn up the boost very much on a Roush/Saleen S281 SC because of the hypereutectic pistons and weaker rods. It does not have an intercooler. If the potential to increase performance is not a main issue, then I may think about a Roush or Saleen. But if I want mega power, the 03 is the best car out there. You could always by the body kit and build one yourself out of an 03. Why pay Saleen all that money to install it for five times the cost when you can do it yourself. Their prices are ridiculous. Brandon Ford is dropping Saleen and they told me that Saleen was getting out of the S281 business.

zepfloyd69

DONT, I REPEAT DONT EVER BUY A SALEEN, they are the heaviest, non power producing, P.O.S. i ever owned

sure they are nice looking, but there is no power, the blower on it is a piece of shit, and it is one heavy fat pig, come on 55 pounds for the front and rear bumpers each, my friends and i used to say that they didnt lower the car with springs, they just add weight to lower it.

but the cobra definately, or maybe a mach 1 but DONT buy the slowleen

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
Have you looked at the 01 Roush Stage 3? Like the Stage 2, its an amazing car.

Our test Roush Mustang coupe outaccelerated Ford's own pumped-up Mustang, the $55,675 SVT Cobra R, and nearly equaled the quickness of the strongest $48,920 Corvette Z06 we've ever tested...

100 takes just 10.1 seconds and the quarter-mile flashes by in 12.9 seconds at 111 mph. The Stage 3's top speed of 164 mph...

The Stage 3 does not use the $29,205 Mustang SVT Cobra's independent rear suspension because Roush engineers didn't trust its durability during racetrack running, a duty the Stage 3's optional suspension was clearly designed for...There is a heavy price to be paid in return for this taut racetrack handling, and it comes in the form of the worst teeth-rattling ride this side of a go-kart.

The braking performance was the only number that seemed disappointing in a $50,000 sports car, and if you didn't snatch up one of the 300 SVT Cobra Rs, the Roush car makes an ideal substitute.

The base Roush makes the most sense to us, since at 40 grand it's tons quicker than anything close to it in price, and without the body kit it would make the perfect sleeper stoplight killer.
- Car and Driver

The 2002 360R is a wonderful car but the price is UP there. If you're not interested in the 01 Roush my vote is for the 03 Cobra. Good luck w/ your decision.

svtTom01

Motorboatin' S.O.B
Established Member
Yeah, I am going to look at it tomorrow, but definitely don't have my heart set on it. I am trying to find an 03 sonic blue vert but they are hard to find at dealers. I think I will like the modability much more by going with the Cobra because I am still unsure about the Roush's GT engine. By the way, are the stock performance numbers true for the 360R? I would really like to see a dyno and 1/4 slip on one.

svtTom01

Motorboatin' S.O.B
Established Member
Well I just got back from going over the details with the dealer. I got to take it for a test drive and I the only complaint I have is the extremely stiff clutch. Man that thing really gives you a wrokout! I didn't mind the horrible shifter that everyone seems to point out on mustangs. I am also checking out a 03 Cobra vert. The dealer really was unsure about warranty on the Roush which made me really nervous, so I leaning to keep the L over th winter because it doesn't matter what I get, I won't be able to drive either the Roush or Lightning because it will be winter up in MN. They will sell me the Roush for $29900, which I think is a good deal but about the same price as a new Cobra. I am tending to believe that the resale on the Roush will be better since they don't make many, only 142 Roush 360's were built. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.....please help!

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
If that Roush has a smaller pulley it is probably not tuned properly. A Roush tune cant be messed with the way a normal Mustang can. As far as handling goes the 360R has the stock GT suspension on it. The Stage 2 and 3 have different suspension though. BTW I seriously doubt the 12.3 time quoted. There was a guy on fnsweet who I dont think ever got into the twelves. He has an '03 Cobra (modded) and can hit low 12s(or better now) so we can eliminate driver error. Most of the S\Ced Roushes never see the 12's w\o some sort of traction mod but sometimes the same goes for the '03.

The '03 is a much better all around buy than the Roush unless you get some rediculous deal. Not there's anything wrong with them.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
you can also check with www.fnsweet.com, someone there will know. The previous owner has probably posted something there as well, they have a registry. As for tuning roush is deffinately protective and very competent in thier computer programing skills.

EDIT: damn commas

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread