Rousch Cobra???

FLYNLO

Established Member
First off, posting this mainly to gain information, not boast of a kill. I had seen this guy driving around my area many times. I was always in the wrong car or in the wrong position. Long story short, I finally got a chance and went from a 40mph roll twice and handled him pretty easily(there, it is officially a kill story).
This car was black along the rocker panels and yellow mid car and black on the hood and trunk. It was a Convertible as well. It had a black "finished" roll bar(not just bar but finished in molded plastic). All SVT Cobra markings(including bumper "COBRA" emblem) with Rousch(sp) sidepipes. I had just assumed it was a 99-01 Cobra done up with Rousch equipment(there were still cutouts under the bumper where the exhaust used to be located). But I had talked to the guy at the light and while driving along at 40mph yelling back and forth(pretty tough to converse). He said it was the only one of its kind made(could be a salesman snow job). He also said it produced 390bhp. After I drove away I started thinking that maybe it was an 03. I just didn't look to see any other telltale signs....the car was too far from stock. It also had the Rousch spoiler so I couldn't tell by that. Any ideas or comments.

BTW....seemed to be a cool dude. Was a little surprised at the outcome of our encounter. He did say a pulley was soon to be installed. I have always been a fan of the way Mustangs sound and don't know what other Rousch Stangs sound like, but this thing sounded....ummmm...not very good at all(very "airy" with no growl and that sidepipe was aiming right at me with my window down). I will probably see him around again and I will get some more info.

Peace,
John

Last edited:

robiferretti

Established Member
rousch mutangs generally aren't fast from what i have heard, i know a guy with a rousch stage 3 i think...not supercharged, pretty slow, but supposedly handles well... i think he gets into motorwork in his upper stage packages, and if it was a stock engined 2001 convertible you would/ should walk it like its towing a honda

FLYNLO

Established Member
Robi, thanks. This one was definitely supercharged....or at least that is what the guy said. And (sex)changer, How 'bout this version of the story.

I pull up to a guy in a strange looking(but cool) Rousch Cobra....do they even exist. I say, "Nice car" and he says, "You too and I bet you will like the rear end of it too since I beat vettes all the time". I say, "Have you ever beat a ZO6?" His reply, "What's a ZO6?"....and I say you are about to find out. We pull away from the light and clear traffic. I give him the jump and he takes it. We are going from 40mph in 2nd gear and by the top of second we are even and the top of third I have 3 cars on him. We do it again with the same results. He pulls up next to me with a very confused look and says, "Damn that thing is quick!" I say thanks and give props to his car knowing I just put a little dent in his mid life crisis. We come up to a red light 3 lanes wide with all lanes available and I am thinking we will go from a dig.....he chooses the left turn lane so I guess he had enough.

So, how was that?(BTW, the above amended story was embellished to make my point...the race results are factual....the driver of the car was totally cool) A little more exciting. Take your pick on which one you like. I personally don't think it is proper for a Vette guy to post a kill on a board like this unless there are extenuating circumstances(trashtalking,etc.). It wreaks of troll behavior. That is why I kept the "kill" part of it to a minimum. I was just looking for info on the car.

Peace

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
ROUSH has various stages offered in their packages. A Stage 3 Roush is a 4.6L SOHC (GT motor) that is supercharged with only about 6 pounds of boost. It creates 380 BHP and handles the twisties like on rails. But is not significantly fast compared to a modded 03 Cobra.

hssss03

CobraPC Version 1.0
Established Member
This could not have been an '03 unless the guy could not drive. From a 40 mph roll you would not have pulled 3 cars on him. From what everone has posted, from a roll the stock '03 cobra and the z06 are about even.

Anyway, good kill. I don't know much about Roush execpt they are way over priced for what you get.

I like your first story better :thumbsup:

FLYNLO

Established Member
Thanks Hsss and SVTfan. I hope to see this guy around again and get the lowdown. And we won't get into the comparison of the 2....afraid that has been beat to death. Trap speed gives you a good idea of how 2 cars match up from a roll.:beer:

Last edited:

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
Originally posted by robiferretti
i know a guy with a rousch stage 3 i think...not supercharged, pretty slow, but supposedly handles well...

Just FYI, ALL stage 3 rousch mustangs are S/C'd. And yes they do handle well, and stop great. They are not the fastest and can be beaten by a stock Z06 with no real problem. I cannot comment as to what kinda car this is you are describing. If you can get some video of it since you said you will be seeing him again, this would ultimately help to determine its origins and if he is pulling your leg to sound kewl to a guy in a Vette. Wouldnt be the first time....LOL:nonono:

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
you can buy all the Roush parts and install them yourself. AFAIK they haven't done any Cobras other than the '03 which they are doing twelve plus "roushravens"' who posts here. They are not touching the drive train though. They were the '03 Cobra until there was one. They are great for the money considering how few are made. Not to mention the $6M in research done before a car was ever built. One cool feature is that the car knows what octane is in the fuel and can adjust the A\F ratio to reduce detonation risk. Think of what the '03 or Z06 would cost if they only made 500 a year. definately a niche car but cool nontheless:thumbsup:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Sounds like you found a cobra that has been fixed up (or is in the process of it)to be made to look like one. The Roushes don't have COBRA an the rear valence (although, yes, you can turn in your cobra and have Roush rework it for you). It doesn't sound like the gold/black paint scheme found on the 360R either, so I'm leaning towards an imposter.

Also, listen to several of the 03 cobra racing videos here to compare, as you would definately have heard the supercharger whine...even over the exhaust.

FLYNLO

Established Member
Originally posted by Lethalchem

Also, listen to several of the 03 cobra racing videos here to compare, as you would definately have heard the supercharger whine...even over the exhaust.

Yeah, I made a mental note at the time but had forgot about this little important piece of information. Definitely did not whine like the 03. I have run across several so I know what they sound like. Do the Roush S/C Stangs have the same type of S/C and are they as noticeable? Thanks.

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
They have the Eaton M90. BTW they can only work on untiltled cars so you'd have to order it from them but the parts are available for purchase.

Jason

That had to be the ghey'st cobra ever...97' Roush Cobra...ppfff, You couldn't pay me to drive that shiite.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Maybe he bought the car and the dude that sold it to him said it was rare. I met a kid that thought he bought a gt...but it was a v6. He didnt even pop the hood when he bought it. How dumb can you be?

Wildcard

Established Member
If you guys are talking about the 97 I hoped you checked out the website. It's a pretty bad ass car.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Originally posted by FLYNLO
Yeah, I made a mental note at the time but had forgot about this little important piece of information. Definitely did not whine like the 03. I have run across several so I know what they sound like. Do the Roush S/C Stangs have the same type of S/C and are they as noticeable? Thanks.

Yes, same type of supercharger, just less PSI. It's still a positive displacement SC, and will make the same sounds.

Wildcard

Established Member
Actually, they run a M90 which was mentioned by someone before. They are your chargers little brother. They do not make any nose at idle, but while your on it- it will scream just the same. I'm not sure if you 03 guys blower whine at idle. Well at least w/ the stock pulley they don't.

Users who are viewing this thread