rough idle / Tuning question?

NOVA98Cobra

Street Defiers
Established Member
My cobra is having air/fuel and idle issues. It sounds like its cammed when it's not. I know lots of people have rough idle issues but here is where I'm different. My car has no rear 02 sensors, IMRC's are zip ties open, egr has been deleted and everything capped. It's a track car only and I'm wondering what can be done to help the car idle nice without input from everything I took out? It's also race wired to compound the issue (could be a problem there). I hooked up a vac gauge and have -16 lbs at idle so no vac leak. Air fuel gauge shows i'm running rich but its only a narrow band.
photo 1.JPG

qkslvr221

Established Member
Any codes? Mine did a similar thing last year and it ended up being injector #4. Plug wires, coil packs, spark plugs, compression, and fuel pressure could all be the cause.

NOVA98Cobra

Street Defiers
Established Member
Any codes? Mine did a similar thing last year and it ended up being injector #4. Plug wires, coil packs, spark plugs, compression, and fuel pressure could all be the cause.

Thanks for you reply. Yes I'm throwing three codes. One for the speed sensors (because they are not hooked up), one for evap stuff (big duh considering), and a p1000 I figure because i took the airbags out. How did you determine injector 4? I never even considered that, but it makes since an injector is acting up. I have stock injectors with 160k on them. I have deleted so much crap i just assumed that was causing the issue so it made me blind to considering something normal finally failed.

Here are some things I tried so fare:

Coil packs (new)
Spark plugs (new)
Compression test showed 187 in all eight +-5
Vacuum show -16lbs at idle

reading from wide band will be coming soon. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge

qkslvr221

Established Member
Well, I was getting a misfire cyl 4 code and the car sounded cammed, so I swapped wires and plugs to see if it would jump to another cylinder. Still stayed there, so after swapping coil packs and compression/fuel pressure checked out OK that was the next logical step since idle wasn't surging. Got an OEM one for 20 bucks off eBay and did the swap in about 45 minutes. The codes you are throwing don't sound like they would affect this at all, I have the evap canister purge code too with no issues.

Forgot to mention PCV valve was replaced first thing, cheapo 10 dollar part.

FiveOGirl

Established Member
Well, I was getting a misfire cyl 4 code and the car sounded cammed, so I swapped wires and plugs to see if it would jump to another cylinder. Still stayed there, so after swapping coil packs and compression/fuel pressure checked out OK that was the next logical step since idle wasn't surging. Got an OEM one for 20 bucks off eBay and did the swap in about 45 minutes. The codes you are throwing don't sound like they would affect this at all, I have the evap canister purge code too with no issues.

Forgot to mention PCV valve was replaced first thing, cheapo 10 dollar part.

Did you ever find out what caused the misfire? I'm having a similar issue.

Users who are viewing this thread