rough idle HELP!!!

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
my car shudders at idle (750RPM) once every 2-2.5 seconds...doesnt stall or die just feel a shudder in the seat and flooring.....this is also without A/C on or any other accessories at almost all operation temps.........

is possible spark blowout?

or what?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Cobra'03

Established Member
Are you new to the car? They can have an erratic idle, but it should not shudder. Doubt spark blowout is problem. Is it better with A/C on or at 1000 rpm? Does it run well the rest of the time?

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraCCC
my car shudders at idle (750RPM) once every 2-2.5 seconds...doesnt stall or die just feel a shudder in the seat and flooring.....this is also without A/C on or any other accessories at almost all operation temps.........

is possible spark blowout?

or what?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

it is called a 4 cams, should be standard for stock 03 Cobra's

KOTH

Hang loose - travel light
Established Member
With the A/C on idle is smooth at 750 rpms.

With the A/C off the idle is slightly rough at 550-650 rpms.

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member
My car does the same thing. It took me a couple weeks to notice it because the A/C was always on. At first I thought the K&N caused it, but I believe it is just a low idle. If you give it a little throttle to were it idles like the A/C is on it is smooth as silk. I also drove my friends Mach 1 yesterday and it idles a little higher than my Cobra and has no problems. I'm going to reset the idle and see how she does.
Thanks Mike

rskdsk

Established Member
That is normal for 2003 cobra ... so is the ticking, stalling, vib etc... Get used to it, you only paid 35k for the car.

SAcobra427

Established Member
My car does the exact same thing. I stopped by the dealer to talk to a tech about it and he told me there is nothing that can be done about it. I have no idea if this guy knew much about the 03's or not, they have sold quite a few Cobras through there though ???

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Mines been in 2x's for this and a few other minor things as well as a couple of major things. They have tested everything on the car, flashed the computer (for stalling) and it still idles rough with the A/C off. A/C on and it's perfect, never stalls either. I'm guessing the idle is just too low when the A/C is off and the computer just cannot catch it before it stalls. I've learned to live with it for now but when colder temps roll around and I'm not using the A/C 24/7 then I may have it looked at again or take a stab at adjusting the IAC or TPS my self.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Same Here

I just took mine in for the same problem. Idles perfectly with the air on at 750RPM. When the air is off, it has a rough idle at 550RPM.

The local dealer called SVT and they told them to replace the spark plugs. Didn't fix the problem (although a free tuneup doesn't hurt). Dealer just said "This is normal". So why then does it idle smooth with the air on????

Hope SVT gets a TSB out soon.

11K and quickly rising.:beer:

pgordon

Established Member
Another car with the rough low idle. Smooths out with ac on. No problem as long as it does not stall.

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
My Cobra has a weird idle also.The dealer said
it checks out ok.
How do you get a 13.01et bone stock???
Help me out,here.
Launch or shifting or what?
See my sig. Ken

BLK_03

Established Member
KenCobra03,

Work on that 60 foot brother. I was 60 footing 2.2x's over and over and hovering at 13.3 in the 1/4. Finally got a 2.0x 60 foot and into the 12's!!

Oh yeah, lopy idle here too. Unless A/C is on, then she purrs. It has stalled on me 3 times in 4,000 miles. No correlation with the stalling. Once when warm idling in a fast food line, once while cold after backing out of the driveway...

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
got the 13.01 w/out powershifting either....so i know with my current spare removed and air silencer and maybe a 2.0 60ft and some powershifting, i think high 12's are very very doable...it was a decent track night..only got 2 runs in tho, and first 2 ever on this car....and trust me im a rookie...

try feathering the clutch from 2000-2300RPM...

practice,practice, practice...........plus weather conditions have a huge effect on S/C motors.....id say try again in the fall when humidity get down....

Users who are viewing this thread