Rotor Removal

95dsm

Established Member
Trying to change out my front rotors, ran into a little bit of a problem getting them off. Anything holding the rotors on after the lug stud locks, and the caliper? I tried to just pound them off with a mallet and they wont budge, any advice will help. Thanks

:bash:

Taz

Established Member
Did you pull the little spring steel retainer rings off from around the bases of the wheel studs?

If not, rip those suckers outta there. After you do that the rotors should pull right off.

Don't try to preserve the rings for reinstallation. You don't need them. Auto makers use them only to facilitate their assembly line processing.

T-

Last edited:

95dsm

Established Member
Took the lugs completely out of the rotor before i started pounding on it, they wont budge. Wondering if it was pressed on there in some way i couldn't get them off :shrug: Anymore advice is welcome. thanks.

Mach0ne351

Established Member
Taz said:
Did you pull the little spring steel retainer rings off from around the bases of the wheel studs?

If not, rip those suckers outta there. After you do that the rotors should pull right off.

Don't try to preserve the rings for reinstallation. You don't need them. Auto makers use them only to facilitate their assembly line processing.

T-

that's what i thought too.....the locking washer things......if those are on, your rotor will stay on...other then that, the rotor will just come off.....rubber mallet to the back of the rotor wont hurt....

marek

95dsm

Established Member
yea i know what washer things you guys are talking about, and they came off with the lug studs.

FoMoCoStang

Rollin the Fox..
Established Member
It should come off with a good knock on the back of the rotor, dont bash it in anger, just alittle push to get it off.

95dsm

Established Member
:shrug: Thats what is confusing to me, they were taken off and turned only a month or less ago, so i thought they'd come right off

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
if you really get desperate, you can take the hub off and lightly drop it onto the lug studs to break it loose but thats a last resort.

a little PB blaster and some whacks with a bfh should do it.

281R

MUSTANGTRENDS.COM
Established Member
WD40, a block of wood, and a hammer. And hammer away. Once you get them off, if you get new ones. Spray the the new rotors completly front/back with barbeque rust protectant paint. That will help next time you need to take them off.

99 svtcobra

99GCobra said:
Trying to change out my front rotors, ran into a little bit of a problem getting them off. Anything holding the rotors on after the lug stud locks, and the caliper? I tried to just pound them off with a mallet and they wont budge, any advice will help. Thanks

:bash:

Just to let you know you have a electric green cobra! :thumbsup: Not a Emerald green cobra! :nono:

cobrafan

99 svtcobra

281R said:
WD40, a block of wood, and a hammer. And hammer away. Once you get them off, if you get new ones. Spray the the new rotors completly front/back with barbeque rust protectant paint. That will help next time you need to take them off.

I would do what he said :idea:

cobrafan

Users who are viewing this thread