Rotor Hitting Caliper

cobrapwr

Established Member
Can anyone advise as to why the rotor would hit against the inside of the brake caliper. I have a 99 Cobra with IRS. It is hitting on the right rear. The rotor is offset to the rear of the caliper opening and grinding. I cannot figure out why it is so close. There is a little play in the IRS halfshaft but not enough to shift the rotor into the caliper.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Check the the nut on the IRS hub, 250 ft/lbs is the required torque. Check the brake pads one side could be wearing unevenly. Piston could be sticking on one side. There are a number of possible causes. The first one I listed is the most important to check.

cobrapwr

Established Member
thx for the advise. I'll torque the hub for sure. the brake pads were wearing evenly before the brake job and during pad installation the pistons seemed to compress normally.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
be sure you have cobra specific caliper brackets, pads, and rotors; there are differences between these items than the V6/GT

cobrapwr

Established Member
thx, the rotor was hitting the caliper before doing the brake job. the pads were a sure match and the left rear is not hitting at all. i am starting to lean toward the halfshaft but still not really sure what to make of the situation. i appreciate your input. thx

grant007

Established Member
dude, im in the same boat. i recently got the gears put in and i think the axle nut is loose on my right rear checking it out tonite.
Derf

cobrapwr

Established Member
yea im thinking that the wheel bearings are are shot in the half shaft. Ill be pressing those out this week. Hopefully that lines the rotor back up where its supposed to be. I have gears going in as well soon.

2001SVTsnake

Established Member
wierd....

i swapped to a SRA and had the shop install the parts on the axle. i installed it and my friver side was doing the same thing. so i took the piece and ground off about 1/8" and now its fine...

Users who are viewing this thread