ROTC question

RookieBeotch

Post Whore!!
Established Member
Well I went into the local army recruiting station today expecting to pick up some information and maybe talk for 15 minutes like he said on the phone, ended up being in there for 2 hours and alot of info to process. Went over alot of different options like the reserves or active duty or ROTC. I know alot of you guys here are active military or ex military so I figured I could get some responce here. I've been checkin out online breifly about the ROTC program and it mentions how your first 2 years for the basic course or whatever comes with out commitment if your not getting the scholarship, what I want to know is how much does the the basic course typically cost if your not getting the scholarship. I'm asking this because I am not positive that is the path I would want to go down, but I think it's something I'd atleast like to try and I couldnt find any of the financial info because most of it is about how much they'll give you for scholarships not the other way around. I liked this option because I plan on going to a 4 year university either way but I wouldnt mind trying it out for 2 years without having to worry about making a commitment that will be with me a 4 years or whatever after college if it's not the right thing for me. If you can't comment on the financial aspect but you did do the ROTC program at your college and want to post your experience I'm more than happy to hear your opinions and or suggestions. Thanks.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
<---- AFROTC cadet at the University of Miami. :-D

I'm a freshman though and I haven't even started yet so I can't really help you.....all I know is that when I signed up for it I just registered for it like any other class, but I recently got a crapload of paperwork in the mail that basically lays out the commitment I'm gonna have to live up to so I know there's a lot more to it than that.

notfastenuf

vertias y aequitas
Established Member
If I were you, I'd talk to the guy in charge of the ROTC program at the school(s) you're looking at. I'm sure things have changed since I was looking at it back in 1996.

Dusten

Established Member
notfastenuf said:
If I were you, I'd talk to the guy in charge of the ROTC program at the school(s) you're looking at. I'm sure things have changed since I was looking at it back in 1996.
The ROTC Program at school and at college rarely go together. To the OP, i am a recruiter for the navy, we have an ROTC program also, which as far as going to school matter, it is the same. I'll give you the highlights of ROTC and if you have questions, PM ME. There is also a website.

https://www.nrotc.navy.mil

It pays up to 180,000 for school. We say this, because some of the schools with rotc programs have extreme tuition(MIT for example), while others do not(State universities)
That 180,000(or less) will pay your tuition, books, fees, uniforms, and food for 4 years. Your lodging is up to you. You also recieve a monthly stipend that goes up the longer you are in school(250-400 a month)
The way the program works is, you apply for the scolarship and apply at whatever rotc school you want to attend(see website for list of schools by state). At this point, there is no commitment. If accepted to both, you can then accept the scholarship, and there is still no military commitment. You attend your freshman year, and at the end of the year, is when you decided if you want continue or not. You can drop out at the end of your freshman year with not commitment to repay or serve. There are specific classes required, and they are outlined on the website. If you drop out any point after your freshman year, you are required to repay the monies, or serve time on active duty. During the summer you will spend a few weeks working out with a unit, to acclimate you better to military lifestyles. This is the basics of the program, check out the site for more info, or pm.

RookieBeotch

Post Whore!!
Established Member
That sounds like a better deal than the Army's atleast the way I understood it was you can take the basic without commitment and you would pay for the classes (the cost is something I'm trying to figure out) or you could get the scholarship and come with a commitment. Unfortunately the school I planned on going to isn't on the list you provided. The good news is I still have time to plan and reconsider everything. Thanks for the help.

Dusten

Established Member
the first year is paid for also with our, you just dont have to pay it bck if you bail out.

RookieBeotch

Post Whore!!
Established Member
side question can anyone tell me more about the career as a Finance Officer, I found the section online but its pretty breif and I was wondering if someone has access to a more thorough description or has experience with this field and can tell me what to expect.

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
i worked in an ROTC unit in south florida, fiu. trust me when i tell you go to the school that you want to attend and ask that units recruiter. they will have the direct information for what you want and they will have a better vested interest in you as you will be a direct asset to the school.

AFROTC is set up different....... something about lazy boy recliners!!!

j/k........ sorry i had to do it to the u of m guy!

bunk22

Established Member
Not sure if it's the same for all services and it has been a while since I went through NROTC. I didn't have the grades for a scholarship out of high school so I went to the NROTC unit at UCLA and did an interview for their college program. It was real simple and I was selected as a college programer. What that meant was for the first two years, I wasn't obligated to the military or NRTOC. I wanted to be a navy pilot so I did everything that was necessary to either pick-up a two year scholarship or pick-up advanced standing. I ended up getting a 2 year Scholarship so once I signed on the dotted line, they Navy would paid for my last two years of college, all my books and I got a check for $100 a month and was comissioned USN. If I had not picked it up but was picked up for college program, I would have received $100 a month but nothing else. Once I graduated, I would have been commissioned in the USNR with a 4 year obligation as well. At the time, one could punch out of colleg program at any time without owing anything. This was all back in 88-93 so things may have changed somewhat (I know you get more than $100 a month now).

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
sgt d said:
i worked in an ROTC unit in south florida, fiu. trust me when i tell you go to the school that you want to attend and ask that units recruiter. they will have the direct information for what you want and they will have a better vested interest in you as you will be a direct asset to the school.

AFROTC is set up different....... something about lazy boy recliners!!!

j/k........ sorry i had to do it to the u of m guy!

lol! I'm actually a student at FIU, but I was able to take the AFROTC program at UM......I wanna be an armchair warrior. :D

notfastenuf

vertias y aequitas
Established Member
sgt d said:

that's all I was trying to say above. Again good advice.

Users who are viewing this thread