Roll cage

badvenm

Established Member
I am thinking about putting a Wolfe 6 point in my coupe. I can't decide because this is mostly a street car with just a little track time. Those of you with cages in your street car do you regret it or do you like it.

Pete

buddha93

Established Member
I did it on my first car after owing it for years. It wasn't really that big of a deal, but I didn't drive it every single day.

I actually bought a swing-out kit for it, but the chassis shop kinda talked me out of it. If I did it again, I'd put the swing-outs in.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
I had a roll bar in my 93 347 Coupe.... I hated having to crawl over the side bar everytime I got in and out of the car. I had to have it though due to NHRA rules. I would never install one just for looks. Since your car is modified that much and is making good power... a roll bar would be a good idea from a safety point 'cause the car can get loose so easily.

I personally would never have a swing out side bar for two reasons...
1) they take out the rigidity you are trying to gain when installing the bar in the first place
2) they are not nearly as safe as a solid welded bar... and can sometimes be more fatal in a side collision. I have seen a car get hit in the side w/swing outs and the retaining pin sheared from the impact. The side bar then impaled(sp?) the driver.

scootro

Established Member
cobra186 said:
2) they are not nearly as safe as a solid welded bar... and can sometimes be more fatal in a side collision. I have seen a car get hit in the side w/swing outs and the retaining pin sheared from the impact. The side bar then impaled(sp?) the driver.
yep, but can't you just fab some boxed ends on the top and bottom to prevent the swing arm from coming in on you during a wreck..

just a idea!

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I have toyed with doing a 6 point in my car for the last 4 years.

I need it from a nhra standpoint but just have not done it yet. I appreciate the heads up on the swing out bars. I had been looking at those

stangbear427

Established Member
I saw a 6pt bar a few years ago that had a bend in the side bars so they didn't come any higher than the bolsters of the seat. I don't remember who made it, but it looked sweet. I'm thinking it might have been Kenny Brown? Don't know if it's as rigid as the traditional straight bar, but it has to be at least as strong as the swing out bars I'd think. The only thing stopping me has always been the frequency of back seat passengers I find myself with.

cobra93

Established Member
cobra186 said:
I had a roll bar in my 93 347 Coupe.... I hated having to crawl over the side bar everytime I got in and out of the car. I had to have it though due to NHRA rules. I would never install one just for looks. Since your car is modified that much and is making good power... a roll bar would be a good idea from a safety point 'cause the car can get loose so easily.

I personally would never have a swing out side bar for two reasons...
1) they take out the rigidity you are trying to gain when installing the bar in the first place

My cage has had swing outs from day one. FYI...NHRA rules do not allow the use of the pins. Chassis will not get certified with them present. I run 1/2" grade 8 hardware in place of the pins. I can see the pins breaking - they are low grade quality wise. In terms of chassis stiffening, I feel my installation with bolts in place of the pins does not suffer from being too flexible - 60-foot times have always been low 1.30 with this setup.

When the car was still street driven, I never used the swingouts to get in and out of the vehicle. I did use them when working on the car, or letting my then small children in and out of the back seat.

Just food for thought.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
cobra93 said:
My cage has had swing outs from day one. FYI...NHRA rules do not allow the use of the pins. Chassis will not get certified with them present. I run 1/2" grade 8 hardware in place of the pins. I can see the pins breaking - they are low grade quality wise. In terms of chassis stiffening, I feel my installation with bolts in place of the pins does not suffer from being too flexible - 60-foot times have always been low 1.30 with this setup.

When the car was still street driven, I never used the swingouts to get in and out of the vehicle. I did use them when working on the car, or letting my then small children in and out of the back seat.

Just food for thought.

Marc, who did your cage? Is it a custom one or mail order?

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I had one in my car and would not do it again. I was going to the spring break shootout in Brandenton (sp?) and knew they would require it because the car was running 11.7's on DR's.

It was a full 6pt that met nhra regulations, and it was a pain in the @ss to climb over the bar everytime I got in the car!

I would not do it again unless the car was going to the strip on a frequent basis.

198118_20_full.jpg

cobra93

Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
Marc, who did your cage? Is it a custom one or mail order?

Lee, The original cage was done by Dolly Machine in Clinton, IL. I have since had the halo loop redone for better safety by my local chassis man. I would recommend having a custom deal done by a shop who works with the NHRA chassis inspector on a regular basis.

Users who are viewing this thread