Roll bar question

SVT 03 Cobra

Ok now that im consistantly running in the 11's, a roll bar is needed! Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes one that is NHRA legal, and has removable side bars. This is my dialy driver, and I dont want to lose use of the back seat, or climb over bars every time I get in or out.

Jayson

SVT 03 Cobra

yea i saw that one from rob... it would be perfect, but im not sure it would pass tech. I'll call and talk to Rob tomorrow.

jtfx6552

Established Member
IMHO there is no way to have a legal 5 point bar in a car where you use the back seat. "Regular" shoulder straps just don't restrain enough to keep people from moving into it during a crash.

A legal cage will have a bar running across about midway up behind the backrest of the front seat. If the bar is in, at the least, the person in the rear will have their knee caps broken. If the bar is removable, who knows what part of the bar attachment stubs they may impale themselves on in a crash. In most bars I've seen, there is a danger of both the front or rear seat occupants head hitting the main hoop.

I don't care how much padding you put on the bar, it won't be pretty if your head hits the bar with no helmet.

I'm still investigating what kind of removable "junction" would be legal for the side bar, I don't want to get T-boned with the side bar out and have the stub the side bar would normally pin to stick through my kidneys.

The whole roll cage thing blows. I've seen a l lot of "Just do..." posts, but I have yet to see a bar that wouldn't add significant risk of injury when you are driving on the street without a helmet or with the side bars out.

Last edited:

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
I thought a 6 point was needed. Any way, I guess a lot of us with modified cobras are going to face this issue. I got my first chance to run with my new mods on our local (2700 ft. elevation) track last Saturday. I thought since it was at a higher elevation that I might not hit 11’s. I started with a soft launch at 1700 rpm and ran 12.0 and was told that without the roll cage I’d better not go any faster. I’m thinking a mid-11 is easily within reach with a higher rpm launch but without a roll cage it’s going to be a one-hit wonder for me.

The roll cage described in racerat’s post looks OK first blush but if it won’t pass tech then obviously that's not going to work. I’ll be interested to see how this problem can best be resolved.

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Originally posted by J69gordon
Ok now that im consistantly running in the 11's, a roll bar is needed! Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes one that is NHRA legal, and has removable side bars. This is my dialy driver, and I dont want to lose use of the back seat, or climb over bars every time I get in or out.

Jayson

They finally got you...that is what happens when you hit the 11's. What did they say to you at NPR about the 11.5?

:beer:

Trader

Established Member

Jayson

I had a roll cage weled in my WS6. I kept the rear seats in so i still coudl toos the kids back there and cruise around a little. I put them in there once.

I then imagined what would happen if we got in a nasty accident. Even with nice thick padding their little heads would get smashed up pretty badly.

Just my opinion. Once you put a cage in your car you take a little bit of every day driver out of it due to safety.

SVT 03 Cobra

Re: Re: Roll bar question

Originally posted by byevette
They finally got you...that is what happens when you hit the 11's. What did they say to you at NPR about the 11.5?

Basically they told me if I ever run sub 12 sec on their track again without a bar, and loop... they will ban me..... :shrug:

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Roll bar question

Basically they told me if I ever run sub 12 sec on their track again without a bar, and loop... they will ban me..... :shrug:

The nerve of some people:cuss:

socalcobra03

Established Member
im not sure on the exact legality but I know that Kenny Brown makes a nice street cage that allows for people to sit in the back seat. The side bars run down below the front seats. When I called them, they said that they would be able to make a small bar that only extends across the back of the driver seat for mounting a harness. Hope this helps.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
It's been a while since I had to deal with this, but unless rules have changed. The side bars had to be fixed, bolt & swivel bars are technically not NHRA legal, although many techs would let it go. The side bars must run between the drivers elbow and shoulder so anyside bar that runs low for easy in-out wouldn't be legal. Most "cages" and bars are labeled street-cage because they aren't technically race legal. Things may have changed, but when I had to worry about a few years back, NHRA legal was a royal pain. I went and had one custom made and installed by a frame & cage shop that stamped it legal.

Users who are viewing this thread