Rod swap questions.....

Freedom

Established Member
Ok, if I did a rod swap in a stock L motor what would be the next weak link?

From my understanding our motors have forged cranks and forged pistons that should be capable of some pretty decent numbers, with the rods being made of glass....

Has anyone done this? is there a downside to doing just the rods? any clue how much HP the assembly could handle with something like manley Hbeams and everything else in the rotating assembly being stock?

miamijdm

Crazy SVT Racer
Established Member
the downside is you have to tear down the entire motor just to change the rods. better off just building a better motor

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
miamijdm said:
the downside is you have to tear down the entire motor just to change the rods. better off just building a better motor

I think that's why he's asking. Basically, I bet he's saying, "I'm gonna tear my engine down to change my rods. What else should I do while I'm in the engine?" At least that's how I took it.

If it were me, much like miamijdm has implied, since you're gonna tear into the engine that much, you might as well swap in new pistons, rings, stage II heads and cams, balance and blueprint the rotating assembly....oh sorry...got a little excited! I wanna do all that to mine BEFORE it chunks the block.

FordFanStan just did a setup like this. Had Dante rebuild his engine for him.

Stewart

Freedom

Established Member
any idea what dante charged him? basically, rebuilding a good motor should be cheaper than buying a built short block, so yeah, thats what I am asking.

spanky777will

Established Member
i'm rebuilding mine right now. and i'm doing it myself.

i'll give a breakdown on all the parts when i get home tonight

but it will be under 5k and that includes heads and cams

Will

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread