Rocky Mountain Radar Jammer

LandShark

Established Member
Was told this would be a better place for this post than the pub....

I have a buddy who has the RM Jammer in his GS6, actually two, one forward one back. He swears they keep him outta a lot of tickets. Anyone else using these things? Am looking a getting a pair for the Cobra. Any mounting hints?

a64armt

Established Member
There is allot of different opinions on Jamming technology and their effectiveness. Many of the systems don't actually "Jam" the radar signal but simply reduce the effective range, in some cases; they actually make you more visible. Click the link <http://www.cnmw.com/jammer.htm> This is an article by Automobile Magazine on the subject. After reading this, I dropped my intent to purchase such a system. I think most people have visions of the law enforcement officer's radar indicating, "zero" as you blast by him at some insane speed. But I do not believe this to be true. I am sure the officers who frequent this forum will be able to give you more information from their position.

other sites: http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Cara...y/200202_feature_detectors.xml?keywords=radar

http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0107_radar/index.html

Good luck.

Of course, if you can get your hands on one, a MIL SPEC. ALQ-136 system or other military grade Radar Jamming system would be effective, but they will also cook you from the inside-out if you stand too close.

One other note: I was returning from Orlando FL last week. There was a digital billboard sign up, flashing an omnious message.

"LAST WEEK WE GENERATED OVER $247,000 OF REVENUE FROM THIS SECTION OF ROAD"

Needless to say, I slowed down and so did everyone else. I never did see a cop, nor did my detector ever flinch....................................

Last edited:

Ginsu

Established Member
I've yet to be jammed and I have never heard of those working. Part of making a speeding case with radar is using visual estimation of a vehicles speed. Before an officer activates a radar he has to make the estimation +/- 5 mph and that visual estimation will hold up in court. I think about the only time a radar dectector will work for you is if you are in traffic where a cop is constantly activating the radar unit. Otherwise a detector just tells the motorist that he is caught and what will determine if that motorist gets stopped is if the officer wants to go after him.

There are times I can not get someone of radar because of interference from bushes, trees, etc or the cosign angle is not correct.

LandShark

Established Member
Thanks for the input. After reading some of the links, I think I will just settle for the Valentine detector. It appears to score way above the competition. I wonder how much it would cost to get radar absorbing paint??? lol

taronis

Banned
Originally posted by LandShark
Was told this would be a better place for this post than the pub....

I have a buddy who has the RM Jammer in his GS6, actually two, one forward one back. He swears they keep him outta a lot of tickets. Anyone else using these things? Am looking a getting a pair for the Cobra. Any mounting hints?

Jammers! Huh! If you have the knowhow and the correct FCC licences, you can build a radar-frequency transponder that'll turn the receiver front end of the gun into black residue and a funny smell...........
I like a 25 to 50 WATT 20-30 mS burst of undirectional, focused energy............LOL

a64armt

Established Member
Exactly! I don't think you will find one of these in your local Surplus store. Maybe on E-Bay though! LOL It would work; all you would need is a location for one large box (aprox. 30x15x8) with ducted cooling, locations for the two antennas, and space to run the wave guide tube. Oh, and a large power supply!

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Originally posted by Ginsu
I think about the only time a radar dectector will work for you is if you are in traffic where a cop is constantly activating the radar unit. Otherwise a detector just tells the motorist that he is caught and what will determine if that motorist gets stopped is if the officer wants to go after him.
I know this is how cops are *supposed* to use radar, but I see cops around here just leaving it running all the time. My V1 will start going off, I think it's an authentic bandit (no offense :)) and I'll see a cop sitting in a parking lot, just running it. When I briefly sat in the back of a police cruiser after having an accident two years ago, I noticed the cop had the radar running.

Actually my brother's a cop now, I'll have to ask him how he (and the other officers he works with) do it. I've also had cops use their radar on me properly (twice in one day once; the first time I was speeding but saw him first and lost enough speed before he turned it on, second time I wasn't speeding, he lit me up for a sec and kept on going), but in my experience this is the exception rather than the rule.

--T.J.

taronis

Banned
A word about radiation:

Some of you boys in blue sit in the cruiser, with the gun on, while resting it across your lap. One day when you get testicular cancer, remember that I warned you.

They are better today.... but you guys that were using them in the 80's................... WATCH OUT!!!

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I heard the real reason that the new Ford GT(40) will cost $125,000 is because of the composite material they used for it's skin. It's lighter than fiberglass, and invisible to radar. All the cops see is a blur, and their radar has no return. There's an extra $20,000 option to add flares and chaff, and silvered panels to defeat laser guns.

GSTSpyder

Established Member
Originally posted by LandShark
Thanks for the input. After reading some of the links, I think I will just settle for the Valentine detector. It appears to score way above the competition. I wonder how much it would cost to get radar absorbing paint??? lol

no idea but it exists, they put it on the SR-71 blackbird. its blackpaint that absorbes some radar and scatters alot of the rest. i should get some for my GN.

a64armt

Established Member
Fiberglass is not invisible to Radar!

As for Radar absorbing paint, CARC paint is designed to lower radar signature but it causes health problems like cancer during its application and has a very flat coarse appearance. All radar absorbing paint has a flat appearance, no shine or reflective properties. Shaping is an excellent way to eliminate a radar signature, but whom wants to drive around in a flat angled. Flat black car that looks like a cross between a stealth fighter and a formula 1 car which emits enough EMI or radar to sterilize you and everyone within 50 ft just so you can speed (oh, don’t forget about laser)? While we are at it, let’s just install radar homing missiles, just to give those cops something to worry about! There was a car, which was designed to be invisible to radar; I had seen it in an auto magazine some time back.

Interesting enough, "stealth" is an Anglo Saxon word meaning to steal. This can be interpreted as in stealing up to the aggressor or foe to surprise him. Traditionally, there are two methods suitable for defeating radar. One of these methods is coating, which is what happens when an aircraft is applied with radar absorbing materials or for short (RAM). The other method is shaping. Shaping is effective in reducing an object's "radar cross section"; also known as (RCS). The Germans were the first to experiment with RAM during WWII by utilizing it on the snorkel masks of their U-boats. This was an attempt to prevent allied aircraft from detecting the vessels. RAM worked to the extent of delaying detection from 8 miles/14.6 km, to 1 mile/1.8km. Mind you, this was 1940's technology.

Although shaping is the best method of reducing RCS, it does not completely eliminate all of the radar energy reflected off of certain surfaces and edges. To reduce the amount of radar energy being reflected, resort to using RAM coatings and radar absorbent structures (RAS). RAM's convert absorbed radar energy into small magnetic fields or heat. This particular process is capable of absorbing 90% to 95% of the incoming radar energy, but this all depends of composition and thickness of the RAM. Reportedly, the USAF uses a type of radar-absorbing paint known as "Iron Ball" which reduces the RCS of F-15 and F-16 fighters by 70% to 80%.

Users who are viewing this thread