Road Trip Next Month. Safe to run 87 or anything less than 93?

01slowbra46

2014 GT Premium.
Established Member
Hey everyone,

I'll be taking the mustang from Kansas to Boca Raton Florida for Christmas and was wondering if it would be safe to run 91 or lesser fuel if I remove timing from with my SCT? The car is tuned on 93, but is not readily available around here (i keep 15 gallons extra at all times). Im a full bolt ons car, but I'd imagine the ECM still detects knock count and adjusts as it would stock?

Also, in order to save money could I remove an additional amount of timing in order to run 87? If so how much do you recommend I remove? Around here difference between regular and premium is almost .50 cents. I wont be racing it or anything, just highway for a long 22 hours.

Don't mean to sound like a newb, but I always put the best fuel in it when I drive it around town or just go E85 when i'm racing. This will be the first long road trip with it since the mods.

Thanks!

dennisn

Established Member
Stick with the 93, I've made a few trips from Chicago to east coast as well as Florida. You'll be able to find 93 off any of the interstates. Just my .02

01slowbra46

2014 GT Premium.
Established Member
Thats what my gut is telling me to do. Sucks that the difference between regular and premium is no longer only .20 cents. At least gas is cheap now!

Myusername

Established Member
My coworker just drove from Orlando to Oklahoma to trade a car in and his gt500 was tuned for 93 the whole way. He didn't have a problem finding 93. My other coworker drives from Orlando to jersey a couple times a year and has no problem finding 93 as well. If you are too worried put a few cans of octane booster in your trunk.

Users who are viewing this thread