Road to Recovery

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
Hello all!

I used to be a frequent visitor here years ago when I had a BAB 98 cobra during College. That car is long gone, but I have finally pulled my dad's Chrome Yellow '98 cobra from his garage, taken ownership, and have begun to get things ready to enjoy this car again. You can see a basic rundown in my signature of the mods.

I took her to a trusted auto shop here in town for a thorough run down and I was a hit with a bit more than I was hoping: its looking like a new steering shaft and possibly a whole new steering rack (I have the play back and forth in the steering wheel); oil leaks at the blower drain pipe, drive shaft seal, and the rear differntial; a coolant leak in the intercooler piping.

Here's a quick video of it at idle: [video]http://tinypic.com/r/23gzkw4/8[/video]

I look forward to getting back involved with the group and providing updates as this car is brought back to 100%!

Last edited:

crazycarlo

Established Member
Well I'm sure you will get it sorted out. Glad to see your back. I remember seeing and reading your posts.

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
Thanks! Now I'm just waiting for a weekday evening or weekend without rain (live in Dallas) so I can get it to the shop!
I am looking at the Maximum Motorsport or just the stock Ford steering shaft as a replacement to my Flaming River one I have now. Any thoughts?

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
Some good news! I have found a company here in Dallas who will re-wrap my steering wheel while I have all of the other steering bits off and being replaced. I will be shooting for the FR500 wheel look and feel, but am considering going with Alcantra instead of leather. Will also most likely have the shift boot, e brake, and center console done as well.

Also, I went with the Maximum Motorsport steering shaft, and got a new rack ordered as well with all new bushings. Hopefully by the beginning of June things will start going back on. I will post pictures of the re-wrapped items when I get them back.

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
New steering rack off set bushings and inner tie rods have been put on the car! This got rid of a lot of the slop in the steering wheel, but a little bit still remains. The MM shaft is going on next, and hopefully that gets rid of the last bit. Once that is on the steering wheel comes off for the re-wrap and the new MGW short throw is going on. All of the leaks have been fixed with new seals as well. She's almost ready for some spirited driving!

cobra_neill

Established Member
Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
New steering rack off set bushings and inner tie rods have been put on the car! This got rid of a lot of the slop in the steering wheel, but a little bit still remains. The MM shaft is going on next, and hopefully that gets rid of the last bit. Once that is on the steering wheel comes off for the re-wrap and the new MGW short throw is going on. All of the leaks have been fixed with new seals as well. She's almost ready for some spirited driving!

That sucks man. The car bit is great! The sucky bit is I visited Dallas in November of last year and didn't see any sn cobras. I have never spoken to an american cobra owner in person and would have been cool to hit up Sharkey's bar n grill or something with another owner.

Good luck with the build!

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
The new MM steering shaft, and MGW shifter are on the car! No more slop in the wheel at all, and the MGW is a great product (on that note I have Pro 5 0 short throw shifter for a T56 for sale). I will be out driving tonight with the go pro and will post a video later. Steering wheel is coming off later this week for the re-wrap. Also going to put on the bgg 8 rib A/C pulley delete this week. Last thing will be FR-500s (going with 10.5's in the back) and she will be ready for autoX, street fun, track days, you name it!

Last edited:

justinp95

Established Member
Who is doing the rewrap on your steering wheel? Just wondering, do they have a website? Im here in austin and mine will need to be done soon.

thetvirus

Established Member
[video]http://tinypic.com/r/2vudhjl/8[/video]

Quick video getting on the freeway...

Sounds good, what exhaust stuff are you using? I put black 10.5 FR500 on my car, with 315/35/17 nittos, fit is good except no way quad shock would fit in there.

Last edited:

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
Thanks. Its got BBK long tubes, BBK o/r X-pipe, and magna flow catback. I am still torn on what finish to go with... Anthracite, silver, chrome so tough! Its reassuring to hear they should fit with no issues!

Last edited:

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
The new a/c delete pulley from bgg is on along with the new mishimoto radiator and new o rings for the crossover tube. Car is running great! The new pulley is superb quality and I have no more pulley squeak!! Still haven't had a chance to pull the steering wheel yet. Will post pictures when I get it back from the re wrap. Also have an appointment for Mike Murillo to tune it this fall. Decided to go with the silver fr500's and the NT05s.

0708265f9321567261ed494a8d5e1aec.jpg

a001e3b0f2988c8092ad140ef7d1bd42.jpg

568740feb772a58a65e8e60a563f017d.jpg

redrocket16

Established Member
I would use a different tuning spot in SA unless youre set on Murillo. Seen too many cars which have left hurt after they tuned them. Glad to know there will be another SN95 Cobra around the area though.

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
Definitely open to hearing opinions. He tuned the car originally back in 2006 and I hadn't heard anything bad up until now. I did have an appointment at hpp here in Dallas (where I'm from) to have manny tune it but heard the same thing your saying from a buddy. Guess I'll do a little more research.

Last edited:

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
Ended up pulling the A/C condenser off, I don't plan on having the A/C functional again, to save some weight when the new radiator went on. Also changed direction on the wheels due to a sale over on American Muscle. Black 10th anniversary wheels are in the garage and the Nt05's will be here Friday.

Did some more research and went ahead and scheduled an appointment with Murrillo at the end of October. Now debating if I want to do a third Torco tune on the chip, or just stay with a lower HP tune (pull some timing) and an all out tune. What are yalls thoughts regarding Torco tunes??

Pictures coming Friday with the new wheel set up; very excited to see it with 315's out back. Thanks to everyone for the input as I have gotten the car back to 100%!

Users who are viewing this thread